Dark Realm
Contains Dark Realm.exe
Windows Application (Windows 7 and later) (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Dark Realm

by D.B.T profile profile profile

A dark psychological horror game, to which you play a nameless character, who finds themselves in a world of death and darkness. Where you must find a way out of the madness before it engulfs you. With every step you take, you find yourself slipping ever so deeper down the rabbit’s hole of despair. In search of something that has been calling you in into complete and utter madness.

First Publication Date: December 30, 2014
Current Version: Version 1.1
Development System: None
Forgiveness Rating: Tough
TUID: ukdtwh5dyf7ui7pq

A home-brew horror maze with a timer and atmospheric room descriptions., February 3, 2016

D.B.T has written 42 games since August of 2014; only one of these has a real review on IFDB, and most have one or fewer ratings. They are written in QBasic, I believe, although some are available as downloadable executable files.

I decided to try one of these games. When I started up the game, I was entertained to see two skulls made with ascii art. The game has a countdown timer of 8 or 9 minutes, and I finished it in 5 or 6.

The game is a maze with two items you can pick up. HELP lists all verbs that you need.

The one real review of a DBT game is pretty harsh; and I have to admit, by the standards of the type of parser games most popular right now, it is not well put together.

However, the game isn't TRYING to be a current, modern parser game or even a throwback to classic games. It is trying to be it's own thing. The game cites Maniac Mansion, Darkseed (which I haven't played), and Scott Adams. In a way that I really can't explain, it reminded me of early versions of Oregon Trail.

Most of the game consists of just wandering around an easily navigable maze absorbing atmospheric room descriptions in green text on black background. The material is over the top, but it's meant to be that way. You are exploring a dreamscape, and trying to find the source of the evil in the dreamscape. Note that you have to refer to items by their full name to use them or pick them up.

All in all, it reminded me of my creepypasta reading phase. Stuff like Jeff the Killer or anything involving Herobrine. Or like Sci-Fi channel movies. I can see how someone could get into D.B.T.'s games and look forward to each release.

So, for standard IF games, this is not that great. But in it's own category, it is enjoyable.

If you enjoyed Dark Realm...

People who like Dark Realm also gave high ratings to these games:

Night of the Beast, by D.B.T
You return home from a hard day at work when you hear someone or something lurking in the darkness. It's as if whatever it is, is lurking in your backyard. Do you have what it takes to find out just who or what is lurking back there?

The Wolf in the Park, by D.B.T
WILD ATTACKS...have been happening through out the Pilgrim Park area. It's the middle of the night and the latest sighting, has placed the creature in this area. People have been turning up dead all over town...and they say it's here....

Amazing Cave Adventure or How come the IF community hates mazes so much?, by D.B.T
A game made for the beginner IF player. A game where it is nothing more then a maze and you must find the Maze Guy, a mad man who loves nothing more than to make mazes and to play them. This game is made for those that want to have some...

This is version 7 of this page, edited by verityvirtue on 18 August 2015 at 11:40am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item