Manikin Demo

by Rose Behar

When your mom’s friend — an eccentric old man with a ‘manikin’ farm — dies in a fire, she decides to investigate. Advise her via text message as she navigates the sometimes surreal dangers posed by small-town secrets kept too long

First Publication Date: April 2, 2021
Development System: twine
TUID: tn9lemz1fl8ftq28

Entrant, Back Garden - Spring Thing 2021

An incomplete murder mystery texting game, April 5, 2021

While this game is unfinished, I found it a pleasant surprise. In format it reminds me of Lifeline, a once-popular game where you were texting with an astronaut and guiding them around a planet.

In this game, you have a nosy mother who is very interested in the death by fire of her neighbor. You give her advice as she learns more about the death and investigates.

I found the characters well-depicted and funny. The writing needs polishing, but it might be fine as-is since it represents the way the characters talk in real life.

The text timing and animation could use a little tweaking. Something about it seems a little off, making it hard to read.

Overall, I'm looking forward to the finished version! If possible, I'd love the final version to have controls for text speed, audio, and saving.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Zape on 2 April 2021 at 8:58pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item