Whole Souls

by Drumclem

A traditional Halloween family dinner, in space.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2019
Development System: Ink
TUID: qrwauhggtebkud74

7th Place, Le Grand Guignol - ECTOCOMP 2019

A space horror tale with great elements that don't blend well, November 10, 2019

I've played this game 4 or 5 times now, trying to find if I've missed something important (and if I have I'll update this review!)

You are in space, having a family dinner on Halloween through a videocall. You can guide the conversation as your family clashes with each other over things like religion and politics.

Then something happens, and the game takes a more linear turn, then ends.

The twist involves several elements, and I just don't see how they all connect together. I'm a fan of leaving the most frightening parts of horror as mere suggestions, but we have so many things here: (Spoiler - click to show)a time loop, suggestions of being an android, government conspiracy, mind control taken from Bioshock. Each part is great, and the writing is good, but how does it all tie together? The simplest explanation is that (Spoiler - click to show)you are an android and your 'family' has always been fake, and your programming gets reset. But then why change the clocks? Isn't accurate timekeeping important in space? And why have the elaborate video call setup at all?

This is version 1 of this page, edited by MathBrush on 10 November 2019 at 3:50pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item