Over Here!

by Auraes profile

Surreal

Help the ghosts escape from here, before the yellow bulldozer destroys everything in its path, to replant and restore a primary rainforest instead.

This game was written for The Next Adventure Jam of june 2020.

First Publication Date: July 6, 2020
License: Creative Commons
Development System: Adventuron
TUID: qbohkrwdlqpoixbq

2nd Place - The Next Adventure Jam

Excellent minimalistic puzzle fest, July 23, 2020
by Denk
Related reviews: Adventuron

This is a puzzle fest in the Scott Adams tradition with super-brief location descriptions, a list of objects you can interact with, a list of visible exits and pictures for all locations. However, in this game the pixelated graphics are taken to the extreme: Each picture is 32x10 pixels. Nevertheless, they are quite beautiful and colourful and it is clear what it is supposed to look like (just look at the cover art). The location pictures may change depending on what objects etc. are present and according to the author there are 148 different pictures. In addition, the text is colourful too, which all adds to the atmosphere.

This game is full of puzzles. Your job is to help the ghosts escape before a yellow bulldozer destroys everything. I have played this game for several hours but so far I have only managed to help 8 out of 12 ghosts. In addition, you can get a maximum of 7 trophies. At least some of them (all?) are not needed to complete the game but it is a fun extra challenge.

I don't know why I like this game so much - it is probably a combination of hard and easy puzzles combined with the colourful atmosphere and the extra challenge to obtain the 7 trophies. The parser accepts no more than two words and it is consistent, unlike some Adventuron games that sometimes accept four-word inputs, which can be fine if the player knows this. The author has also provided a list of necessary verbs, so you don't really need to guess any verbs.

In the time of writing, there are 14 hours left of The Next Adventure Jam. I've played all seven entries and I liked them all more or less, but this is my favourite. Recommended.

If you enjoyed Over Here!...

People who like Over Here! also gave high ratings to these games:

Return to Castle Coris, by Larry Horsfield
The intrepid Duke has returned to Castle Coris, where he thwarted the Xixon sorcerer Zalazar's plan to destroy the world with a horde of demons from Hell (See THE SPECTRE OF CASTLE CORIS). The castle has been undergoing renovation by...

Santa's Trainee Elf, by Garry Francis
It's 23 December 2020. It's been a really tough year for many people with bush fires, floods and other natural disasters and then the Covid-19 pandemic. Many people are doing it tough, so it's up to Santa Claus to bring a smile to their...

Tombs & Mummies, by Matthew Warner
Your arch enemy has trapped you in the underground tomb of the Pharaoh Haputet. To escape, you must solve a puzzle before you run out of matches to reignite your torch. Watch out for snakes, mummies, and Egyptian curses!

Over Here! appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best of each authoring system by Denk
I intend to try the best games of each authoring system, so there will no doubt be many changes to this list in the future. So far, I think the following games are the best for each system I have tried: (games in alphabetic order)

The following polls include votes for Over Here!:

Best parser games since 2017 by Rovarsson
When browsing for good recent games, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of Twine and Choice games. Add to that a great number of games with five stars and only one rating, many of which are also, yes, Twine and Choice games, it gets difficult...

This is version 7 of this page, edited by auraes on 23 December 2020 at 12:23pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item