Fog Lights and Foul Deeds

by Tom Sykes

2017

An interactive horror story set on a supernaturally ruined Victorian canal.

You've bought a narrowboat. You've hired a crew. Can you survive the myriad horrors of the fog-drenched Poulton waterway?

Play full-screen (little square button at bottom-right) for best results. The game might not work with Internet Explorer - sorry! If you reach an ending and you'd like to play again, please reload the page.

Made with inkle Studios' ink engine.

Cover image: Foggy Canal, Radcliffe by David Dixon.

First Publication Date: October 25, 2017
TUID: pytrp2mp3uqmrxng

9th Place, Le Grand Guignol (English) - EctoComp 2017

A mid-length horror game with stats and challenges, November 4, 2017

This game is actually quite extensive for an ectocomp game.

Written with Ink (I think), it has you travelling up a river that is completely infested with monsters of various kinds, mostly zombie-like creatures and ghosts. You are in a sort of alternate Victorian era, with enormous factories and electrical equipment and such.

The game heavily advertises its stats-based nature, with money, fuel, tea, and health being tracked. It took me around 30 minutes, and I played to a non-satisfactory ending. Recommended if you're looking for a more stats-based approach to Ectocomp.

Take a narrowboat through fallen Victoriana dealing with encounters on the way, December 11, 2017

A succinctly written but atmospheric story, where you must make decisions to survive a boat journey in a fallen world. The very limited resources work well to create tension (despite options being somewhat limited over a short story duration), keeping the journey gripping.

The setting is obscure, but unlike some stories is not overreliant on this to the point of being obtuse; here it works to remain intriguing.

If you enjoyed Fog Lights and Foul Deeds...