The Hive Abroad

by Laura Michet profile

Sam lived among aliens for five years. Coming back home has been harder than he thought.

The Hive Abroad is an experimental, nonlinear sci-fi short story about friendship, community, and changing yourself.

First Publication Date: January 31, 2015
TUID: pbpmapafkpqsgvjo

A well-written sci-fi tale about belonging with non-linear narrative, March 22, 2020

When I was a kid, my dad had tons of sci-fi books from the 50s and 60s, and my grandmother had huge boxes of Star Trek books. I read Asimov and Clarke and all the others.

This story reminds me of a lot of sci-fi from that era: humans and aliens trying to understand each other. I guess that's always been a huge genre, even now with shows like Steven Universe exploring the same thing.

In this story, you play a human in a future version of the universe where aliens have established diplomatic relations with earth. You have tried to renounce your identity and become an alien, and humans are in an uproar over it.

The story is presented non-linearly, with custom-made graphics to take you from section to section. Generally, you can choose to see another cutscene before or after the one you're in. However, going forward and then back doesn't bring you back to where you were; it seems like you always see new material.

I enjoyed the story, and found it polished, descriptive, and emotionally satisfying, but I don't feel an urge to play again. I'm satisfied with the story I found.

If you enjoyed The Hive Abroad...

People who like The Hive Abroad also gave high ratings to these games:

Aunts and Butlers, by Robin Johnson
It's 1920, you're a minor aristocrat fallen on hard times, and your wretched Aunt Cedilla is on the warpath. A Wodehousean comedy of manners, manors, mysterious butlers and unfriendly poodles.

Animalia, by Ian Michael Waddell
This is the story of Charlie Stewart, nine-year-old Human child. Inside this ordinary nine-year-old Human child are four animals from the Forest, working tirelessly to keep YOUR Taiga Federation safe from Human intervention.

Lowell Prison, by Emily Short
A small conversation piece between you, an inmate of Lowell Prison, and an old man who crouches beside a wide-open gate.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by LatinAlice on 21 March 2020 at 6:11pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item