Play latest version in browser.
Competition page
Ectocomp 2012 page, includes download link for original version.
TheHuntingLodge.zip
Contains TheHuntingLodge.html

The Hunting Lodge

by Hulk Handsome profile

2012

You rub your eyes and peer out of the taxi window, confirming that you have arrived at your destination.

You're here to investigate why no one has heard from your brother, Thomas, in weeks. Though the two of you have never been particularly close, heís still your brother, and you canít help but be concerned about his apparent disappearance.

What horrors await you inside the Arkham Hunting Lodge?

A game designed for Ectocomp 2012, and inspired by the likes of Hunt the Wumpus. Placed third.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2012

More renovations! November 6, 2013
Hunting Lodge Renovations December 1, 2012
Expand all | Add a news item

Down Under, Wumpus Hunts You, January 31, 2013
by Paolo Jose Cruz (Manila, Philippines)

If you're willing to take moody atmospherics and tense exploration (Spoiler - click to show)-- followed by an intense timed escape sequence -- over a well-developed or unique plot, then this Lovecraftian mansion crawl is fair game. Boasting some genuinely unsettling scene descriptions, The Hunting Lodge lets its creepy backstory unfold in the first 'act', before abruptly shifting gears into an nerve-wracking cat-and-mouse (or rather eldritch-abomination-and-plucky-human) game.

Worth noting for Twine fans and developers alike: this game takes full advantage of the tool's variable-setting functions, with a small virtual inventory needed to advance the story, simulated turn-based events (e.g. (Spoiler - click to show)countdown that decreases by 10 seconds each click), and a monstrous pursuer that moves about in (randomized?) wumpus-style fashion. With all the conditions in play, it truly shows off the mechanical possibilities of the authoring system, beyond the obvious CYOA type functions.

I admit that I still haven't beaten the game yet. But I don't need to -- I already recognize how satisfying it is, even when it ends in death-by-creature or (Spoiler - click to show)a fiery, explosive demise.

A 'hunt the wumpus'-type game in Twine, September 15, 2017

I actually played this game backwards on accident. There is a major event you're supposed to encounter early on in one of the first rooms, but that ended up being the last room I entered.

Most of this game is navigating a house while a mysterious being also does so. You have to avoid, destroy, and escape.

Over all, it was well done, but I never really got into it. The room descriptions were fairly amusing.

Nice, Quick Little Game, October 7, 2021

Cool piece of coding!

If you enjoyed The Hunting Lodge...