Play on ChooseYourStory.com

The Cliche Adventures of a Generic Hero

by Bucky

Generic Warning - For immature mature audiences only.

Author's Note

I fired the ridiculous cannon up for this one and took it up to eleven.

This project has lingered untouched in my trunk for nearly a year now. Originally intended to be a short work, it grew big and fat in my notes, and was then later locked away and ignored. Life happens. Anyway, I pulled it from the graveyard and decided to patchwork the dangling ends together.

Play through the heroic or not so heroic adventures of a Cliché knight hero! There are a series of three endings for the knight that I considered canon when I first drafted the story. These unlock the first pages of what were intended to be the other hero paths of wizard, prince and spunky girl (along with some bonus troll material). If enough people enjoy the knight's story, I'd be open to reinvesting in the project and adding one or all of them on as an expansion. Each would play as its own separate story, so don't worry, there is a full and complete story in here.

License: Free
Development System: ChooseYourStory
TUID: ocphob24cnzjgk76

Dry humor, dark and bloody., March 9, 2021
by fos1 (Under the Rainbow)
Related reviews: Humor, dark, bloody and R rated.

I played the game through a couple of times. The early part of the game is linear, a single choice after a page of narrative. After the intro section you will have a couple of options that will be pretty obvious, kind of a good / bad thing. The game is pretty unforgiving as it will reach a dead end (literally) with one of the choices. There is quite a bit of violence and some described sexuality.

I gave it three stars due to the humor and irony. Not a bad read but definitely contains adult content.

Very coarse humor, but good if you're up for this type of thing., March 9, 2021
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)

I felt there was some dodgy tense shifting at first, like the author may not have been sure if the action was happening now or in the past when they started the story. This is a CYS joint with a handful of choices that branch widely with no recursion or variation like a printed choice narrative (not a complaint; it just means any playthrough will be brief and by nature will end abruptly on certain choices to avoid time-cave combinatorial explosion.) The opening scene is funny, if just for the exchange:

And why exactly do we hate the dwarves?”
“It’s canon. Don’t ask questions.”

Then there's a scene about unicorn farts.

I can tell the author at least has a good sense of comedy writing and you may vibe with this story if you're into gory cartoonish mayhem with a "Van Wilder" slant.

If you enjoyed The Cliche Adventures of a Generic Hero...

People who like The Cliche Adventures of a Generic Hero also gave high ratings to these games:

The Boot-Scraper, by Caleb Wilson (as Lionel Schwob)
On the night of August 14th, 1799, eight days off St. Stellio, the sloop Meleagris was smashed apart by a storm. Most of the crew and passengers alike were crushed by fallen rigging, or drowned, or eaten by sharks. One passenger was not...

ASCII and the Argonauts, by J. Robinson Wheeler
In this wonderfully laconic spoof of the Scott Adams style of adventures, you play as Jason of the Argo, tasked by King Pelias to bring the Golden Fleece to him or die. Surprisingly both entertaining and tricky, this game is a gem among...

The Adventures of Phoebe McGee: Episode 1, The Lighthouse, by Charles A. Smith
Phoebe McGee is 13 years old and is unhappy about being sent to be with her grandfather on Acadia, a small island off the coast of Maine. It is 1937 and a new danger from Europe is only beginning to gain strength. The forces of...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Zape on 9 March 2021 at 1:54am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item