One More Page

by PRINCESS INTERNET CAFť

Your friend Ash and you were up to no good last night. You agreed to meet up at yours tonight, but it seems like you may have bitten more than you could chew.

What is that mysterious tome you've been trying to decipher?

Made in under 4 hours for both ECTOCOMP 2022 and Cosmic Horrors Jam.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2022
Development System: Ink
TUID: ngguketf2d58k5c4

14th Place, La Petite Mort - English - ECTOCOMP 2022

A strong setup and a lot of bathos, November 21, 2022
by Draconis
Related reviews: Ectocomp 2022

This one appears to be the third in a series I havenít played, but hopefully it stands on its own. It takes the format of a text conversation, with messages from your contacts appearing one by one, and you choosing how to respond. The visual presentation is quite sleek, though I honestly wish it had been simpleróI spent a long time waiting for text to slowly fade in, even when itís a choice for me to click rather than a message from someone else, and the messages floating around in different directions and bumping into each other was mildly distracting. Sometimes I could scroll down too far and leave the whole conversation behind; other times the messages were cut off at the bottom and I couldnít scroll down any further. The background music was atmospheric, though I turned it off after a little bit.

(The flow of this review is different from the rest because I keep tabbing over to work on this while I wait for the messages to appear. It takes a while.)

Interface issues aside, this is a spooky little short story told through online chats. Your mother messages you to say that your friend has arrived, and is waiting in your room. Then your friend messages to say they got delayed on the train. So who, or what, is it that your mother just let into the house??

Sadly I found the climax less compelling than the premise. (Spoiler - click to show)Your friendís doppelganger starts messaging you in Zalgo text and sending you uncanny pictures from the internet. Iím not sure if the bathos was intended or not, but it ended up feeling like a bit of a letdown after the spooky premise. I somewhat wish the entity itself had been left in the background, rather than messaging you directly, because only hearing about it secondhand could keep it both scary and vague at the same time.

I enjoyed this one, but I wish the climax had kept up the spooky atmosphere from the beginning.

A text message horror game written in 4 hours or less, November 13, 2022

This is a relatively brief choice-based game with an interface written in Ink that mimics text messages.

You are texting your mom and your friend ash, just having a regular day, when things get strange and weird. The game's appeal is mostly based on its twist, so I won't spoil it here.

The plot is pretty good, but the dialogue and characterization are a bit generic; it's hard to get a feel for who the characters are, and their individuality. The texts are slow to come, which was a bit frustrating.

The UI looked neat, which seems like a good accomplishment. This game makes me think its author is really talented at web programming.

Necrotelecomicon, November 2, 2022
by jakomo
Related reviews: ectocomp2022

Text message interactive fiction: chat with your mum, and with your pal Ash with whom you've been reading Ancient Tomes, while a relentlessly oppressive musical drone churns in the background. The text interface simulacrum effectively induces dread through extremely slow reveals of each... new... message... and the few choices you get to make, although inconsequential, help characterise the protagonist and elaborate her thoughts beyond the conversations themselves. A highly linear creepypasta-ish experience which appears to be the final part of a trilogy: having not played the previous two I can confirm this works perfectly well as a nightmarish standalone experience.

If you enjoyed One More Page...