Epitaph

by Max Kreminski

idle game about existential risks and the death of civilizations

Language: English (en-US)
First Publication Date: September 12, 2016
TUID: mnyo1k4i0nk9qief

The apocalypse keeps happening, September 13, 2016

My first thought playing this- it's overwhelming. Which is good, I think it's supposed to be overwhelming. Accepting the responsibility of worlds at a time, that's not taken lightly. As I watch governments, species,and religions wax and wain in tandem, I'm too busy plotting the growth of other worlds. I consider letting a world evolve organically, I try teaching worlds to feed themselves first, I try teaching the merits of culture or quality of life, but the end of the world always seems to be moments away. It doesn't matter if they've developed particle physics or artificial intelligence, all it takes is a volcano to initiate an ashen winter. I'm smart here, smart enough to tangentially govern worlds, but that's nothing compared to the powers of the malevolent universe.

Supposedly you can win this game, but how could anyone win? I've caused the deaths of billions playing this, and while they've been given the joys of life itself, who am I to will them into existence?

Overall a fun, thought-provoking, engaging game. I have trouble assigning a numerical value to it, this game has true artistic value, I guess I can only give it five stars in the hopes that more people are exposed to this so they can take new things away from it.

Fun, though evil, September 20, 2016

It was overall a quite fun game, neat to see how the various civilizations evolve, and interesting strategies behind it. It took me about a half an hour to get a successful civilization, the eighteenth or so one did it. Often the civilizations will be wiped out by things beyond your control, whereas at other times you have to balance between a variety of risks.

If you enjoyed Epitaph...

People who like Epitaph also gave high ratings to these games:

Vespers, by Jason Devlin
It has been five days, now. Five days since I made the choice. Five days since I closed the gate. Really, there was no choice. Rovato was damned when the first spot appeared: when the first bloody cough ensued from the mouth of an...

Coloratura, by Lynnea Glasser
Stolen away by apathetic Blind Ones, your only desire is to return to your Cellarium and the Song of the Universe. They should understand. You shall make them to understand.

Bill Belichick Offseason Simulator, by Jon Bois
This must be emphasized from the outset: The Bill Belichick Offseason Simulator is a tool, and not a toy. It does not exist to amuse you. It is meant to train prospective football coaches in the art and science of managing the travails...

The following polls include votes for Epitaph:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible innovation uses of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best Use of Innovation in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Brendan Patrick Hennessy on 12 September 2016 at 7:39pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item