Game files

by D E Haynes

Theatre of Spud
:::::::::::::::

February 14th, 1984.

Somewhere in the English Midlands, a humble local side will for the second time battle mighty Liverpool
in the football cup tie of a lifetime.

And across town on this cold foggy night, Edward Lionheart debuts his youth production of `Arms and the Man`.

Amid technical hitches, one withering critic and a diabolical director, can a young boy called *Spud*
save this theatre from disaster?

Status
++++++

This project is in early alpha. It lacks some content and it's slightly buggy.
It was submitted as a demo to `Spring Thing 2021`_.Contains two acts of a five-act piece. Lacks some content. Slightly buggy

First Publication Date: April 2, 2021
Development System: Python 3.9
TUID: mhzuvhpi2ulkuj3u

Entrant, Back Garden - Spring Thing 2021

An incomplete Python game set in a theatre, April 9, 2021

I rarely review a game without playing it to completion. To explain my omission in this case, I'd like to describe my play experience.

This was the second python game I played in this competition, so I had a better idea of how to get it running than I did on that one.

There are two ways to compile it: command prompt or web version.

I first tried command prompt and found it very slow, so then I tried the web version.

The web version has a several seconds pause between each line of text. This is somewhat frustrating, but not too bad. But the web version also blanks the screen frequently, and on a timer, so important text gets overriden by incidental 'flavor' text, making the text sometimes too slow and sometimes too fast.

The slow text, while a drawback, would have been manageable if not for the fact that:
-the same text pause happens when you make an error
-the game doesn't recognize most standard parser commands

For instance, you can't LOOK AT, W means WAIT instead of WEST and N means NEXT instead of NORTH. TALK TO is also not recognized. There is a HELP command, which lists helpful things to do, but in the web version sometimes typing HELP just gave me the environmental text, and HINT never worked.

So, much of my gameplay consisted of trying commands, getting errors, trying other commands, getting errors, all at a fairly slow pace.

The main game concept seems like it could work, but I can't proceed right now.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Zape on 6 April 2021 at 12:31am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item