Impostor Syndrome

by Dietrich Squinkifer (Squinky) profile

2013

You're giving a talk at a big important tech conference. But do you really deserve to be here, or were you selected just to fill a diversity quota?

Originally published under the name "Georgiana Bourbonnais".

First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
TUID: m6j642kft5ap2erl

18th Place - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Not particularly "game"-ish, October 28, 2013
by streever (America)

I enjoyed this--the writing is good, the points it makes are done well--but I was a bit leery about it when I first read the brief. I thought this might be an attack on minorities entering the tech world from the brief, and was glad it was not.

It does not feel particularly game-like--there aren't recognizable challenges nor are there puzzles--but it is well-written and engaging. Perhaps one of my favorite of the non-choice/non-puzzle entries in ifcomp 2013.

An important conversation about impostor syndrome, in Twine, June 7, 2016

The author of this game has specifically said that they did not intend this work to be a popular game, but that it was intended to provoke thought and discussion, and to be seen by many people.

This work is mostly lielnear, with a sequence of side comment links and a single story progress link at the bottom.l, until the end when you get some binary choices.

The piece is about imposter syndrome, the feeling that you are not competent at what you do, especially in the context of women, trans individuals, and other minorities.

As a description of imposter syndrome, it excels. As a mindless diversion, it is only mildly successful, but that was never it's goal.

"There will always be trolls. There will always be sexism.", October 27, 2013
by ifwizz (Berlin, Germany)
Related reviews: feminism

In some way interesting as case study of Anna Anthropys manifesto "Rise of the Videogame Zinesters".

If you enjoyed Impostor Syndrome...

People who like Impostor Syndrome also gave high ratings to these games:

Curses, by Graham Nelson
"As "Curses" opens, you're hunting about in the attic of your family home, looking for a tatty old map of Paris (you're going on holiday tomorrow) and generally trying to avoid all the packing. Aunt Jemima is potting daisies and sulking;...

Human Errors, by Katherine Morayati
A contractor assigned to handle bug reports for a wearable mood-regulation device becomes unwitting witness to trauma and crime.

Fail-Safe, by Jon Ingold

The following polls include votes for Impostor Syndrome:

For Your Consideration: XYZZY-eligible PCs of 2013 by Sam Kabo Ashwell
This poll is a place to suggest player characters from games released in 2013, who you think might be worth considering for Best Individual PC in the XYZZY Awards. Leave the name (or namelessness) of the PC in the comment on your vote....

Games that show everyday life by Sam Jackson
I'm looking for preferably short games that focus on part of someone's life in our world and preferably our time. I would like games with an emotional focus.

Games about experiencing chronic/long-term illness by verityvirtue
Games which primarily involve the experiences of the PC or an NPC with an illness, which may involve their experiences with healthcare professionals and other services. Not to say there isn't a place for games whose PCs have a long-term...

This is version 8 of this page, edited by Dan Fabulich on 9 August 2021 at 5:10pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item