El Virulé

by paravaariar profile

Hecho durante Octubre 2022 para la ECTOCOMP

Primera parte del juego. Puedes jugar online dándole al botón de Run de arriba, o bajarte la versión offline disponible más abajo.

El Virulé.
Soy cantaor. Yo cantó para expulsar mis demonios.
Suben desde lo profundo.
Porque los demonios no se ven. Pero se pueden oir.

Texto, gráficos, y programación realizados por @paravaariar, todos los derechos reservados. Sonidos de dominio público o uso libre. Programado con Adventuron.

Betatesters: prolbax, soso, juliab, alejandra

Warning: Escenas de violencia

Language: Castilian (es)
First Publication Date: October 31, 2022
Development System: Adventuron
TUID: icn2n318gjxm8b83

1st Place, Le Grand Guignol - Spanish - ECTOCOMP 2022

A tale of emotional resolution in older times, November 1, 2022

This game is fairly complex and its a good chance I didn't understand it completely. It involved quite a bit of folklore and older time things that were hard to translate (and copy and paste doesn't seem to work for google translate), and it is written in a dialect that drops the 'd' at the end of words (like tablao for tablado), which was a bit tricky for me. It's written in Adventuron, and is actually a well-implemented example of the engine.

You play as a man in a Romani family whose name I couldn't quite understand (I think it means something like the evil eye?). The game is divided into two sections; the first involves obstacles in the path of a wagon trip, and involves both conversation and some standard fetch quests.

The second part is a loop where you sing or play guitar for money in a cafe, each time receiving feedback on how to improve. I started off with horrible music but eventually got much better. That unlocks some ending scenes that are quite shocking and weird at first, but, upon reading the beginning quotes of the game again, seem to represent a kind of catharsis. I got kind of stuck on this second half of the game, to be honest.

Overall, this game is incomplete, according to the author, but I found it complex and descriptive. I appreciated the manual and the suggestions at the bottom of each page.

I debated for a long time between 3 stars and 4 stars, but I'd rather be nice if I can't decide so I'm going with 4.

If you enjoyed El Virulé...