A zip containing all of the EctoComp 2013 games.
Contains The Voodoo You Do.gblorb
For all systems. To play, you'll need a glulx interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

The Voodoo You Do

by Marshal Tenner Winter profile

Episode 1 of The Voodoo Trilogy
2013

You've found the crossroads where you were told you would finally meet Papa Legba himself; the intermediary between this world and the next.

First Publication Date: November 1, 2013
IFID: 2CD33033-1D24-45E5-8270-1949C38A530F
TUID: gwe8psqhkakmciu1

9th Place - Ectocomp 2013

A well-put together Speed IF with a surprising amount of detail, June 23, 2020

MTW, the author of this short speed IF, has always had a talent for putting together locations and NPCs. Speed-IFs are usually very sketchy, but this game manages to have a large map, responsive items, good error messages, and even a conversation (which I know from experience is difficult to implement in a short time).

It involves the Voodoo or Voudon religion. While one part of it revolves around the use of (Spoiler - click to show)Voodoo dolls, which just tonight I discover actually originated in European druidism, most of it seems to represent Voodoo beliefs in a fairly accurate and respectful way, the kind of accuracy you'd expect in a game where you visit the Christian heaven.

I think Speed-IFs would be much more enjoyable to play if more of them were this well put-together. I'm not giving 5 stars, though, because even as a speed-IF it still has to compare to longer games.

Dark, interesting angle and narrative, December 3, 2013
by streever (America)

This is a short and successful game with an interesting twist and narrative.

I don't think the presentation of Voodoo is particularly faithful, but it works as a spooky Halloween ghost story.

I enjoyed the (relatively easy) puzzles and the story. I am surprised at the low score for the game in the Comp; I think it was a strong effort.

A must play!, November 2, 2013
by theqbasicwizard (Leduc, Alberta)

A wonderfully written game that really puts you into the dark world of Voodoo. With every aspect of darkness that can be put into this game, it really creates a dark atmosphere. The writing is wonderful and though this game is a little on the short side. You will still be able to kill a few hours on this little gem scattered across a mining pit in a little unknown place known by only a few.

If you enjoyed The Voodoo You Do...

People who like The Voodoo You Do also gave high ratings to these games:

Mean Mother Trucker, by Bitter Karella
Big Ester is a mean mother trucker about to take her big rig down The Devil’s Taint, the most treacherous stretch of mountain road on the whole trucking circuit... but first she’s got to win the heart of the truck stop waitress who makes...

Sunless Sea, by Failbetter Games
LOSE YOUR MIND. EAT YOUR CREW. Take the helm of your steamship and set sail for the unknown! Sunless Sea is a game of discovery, loneliness and frequent death, set in the award-winning Victorian Gothic universe of Fallen London.

A Trial, by B Minus Seven
A funny thing happens on your way to the Center for Nominal Reassignment. "A Trial" is a chimera of prose, poetry and ???.

The Voodoo You Do appears in the following Recommended Lists:

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Zape on 9 July 2020 at 5:39pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item