Steam
Google Play Store
for Android

Champion of the Gods

by Jonathan Valuckas

In the battle to save your people, will you defy the gods? In an ancient world where myth is reality and fate is relentless, your destiny will lead you to secrets no mortal should ever know.

"Champion of the Gods" is a thrilling 217,000-word interactive novel by Jonathan Valuckas, where your choices control the story. It's entirely text-based--without graphics or sound effects--and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

As you fight your way through a harsh landscape inspired by Greek myth, you’ll challenge monsters, soldiers, and even gods. Win allies with your humility, your haughtiness, or your powers of deception. Enjoy gifts from the gods, or refuse them all and face the consequences.

Will you earn favor from the goddess of love, or make the god of war your protector? Can you escape a watery death without divine intervention? And when you finally learn the truth of your destiny, will you overthrow the ones who made you, or will you become the Champion of the Gods?

- Explore a rich world inspired by the ancient myths.
- Use divine gifts to embolden your allies, and control your enemies.
- Peer into the future, the far distance, or the hearts of your foes with second sight.
- Receive a horoscope tailored to your character's unique personality.
- Delve into romances, or play the game without them--the choice is yours.
- Play as male or female; straight, gay, or bi.

First Publication Date: July 17, 2015
License: Commercial
Development System: ChoiceScript
TUID: f6upk1ryzs651ddo

A Greek mythology-inspired game that grapples with destiny, September 9, 2020

Pros: It was much easier for me to choose the stats I wanted to have than other games, and to get them high. I chose to be like Heracles, and was a completely brutal and narcissistic champion of the Gods. The game absolutely let me take this path, and justified it in-game as being a champion of the goddess of war.

I enjoyed the writing quite a bit. The characters were on par with other good Choicescript games, but the overall plot and themes are what resonated with me.

There are several romance choices. At least two are thrust upon you in terms of their attraction to you, but you have a lot of agency over what you'll do.

This game is inspired by Greek mythology, but has its own pantheons and cities. I suggest that you try the opening before buying to get a feel for it. I'm excited to try its sequel, which is substantially larger.

As a final note, this game does something I've never seen in a Choicescript game before: (Spoiler - click to show)it has you switch to another character briefly mid-game, with a different stat set you can adjust to.

Cons: The game has a fairly linear main story (though I've only played once, many choices seemed to converge, and other reviews confirm it). Until the end, that is. However, in a game centered around destiny, that's not so odd a thing. But I bring it up because some have questioned its replay value. It felt quite long to me, though, and it had enough choice in characterization that I feel who I was as a character could be completely different from playthrough to playthrough.

I received a review copy of this game.

If you enjoyed Champion of the Gods...