Download or play online on Itch.io

The liberation

by Stephane F. profile

The liberation is a short interactive story with several endings, dealing with politics, solitude, love and betrayal.

This game is the English translation of the revised edition of "La libération" : https://ifdb.org/editgame?&id=wto2yx4nzshysdt5

First Publication Date: March 4, 2020
TUID: czat14p0gvl7vh9s

A Bleak Look at Totalitarianism, March 10, 2020
by WriterBob (Richmond Hill, Ontario)

It has been a few years now since I've played, or reviewed any interactive fiction. The game mechanics of "The Liberation" are an example of the current generation of the genre. Gone is the parser where the player types out commands, replaced by what amounts to a "Choose Your Own Adventure," style of interface with limited options. The focus is on the narrative of the story rather than the immersive game play, reducing the interactive nature of interactive fiction.

The strength of this format is that it allows readers to easily explore the consequences of various actions taken during the course of the story. However, the actual branches are few and for much of the game the player is on a tight track, with few options that affect the course of the plot. This story offers a variety of endings, though I'd be hard pressed to say which is the ideal ending for a refugee from a totalitarian regime. I found the tone to be depressing and devoid of hope.

From the point of view of the game mechanics, it was well implemented, but exceptionally brief. There appear to be a few minor idiosyncrasies with the translation from the original French version, but I felt this enhanced the atmosphere of the story.

Overall "The Liberation" succeeds in delivering a tale of dark desperation.

If you enjoyed The liberation...

People who like The liberation also gave high ratings to these games:

Shade, by Andrew Plotkin
"A one-room game set in your apartment." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

Photopia, by Adam Cadre
"Will you read me a story?" "Read you a story? What fun would that be? I've got a better idea: let's tell a story together."

9:05, by Adam Cadre
The phone rings. Oh, no — how long have you been asleep? Sure, it was a tough night, but... This is bad. This is very bad. The phone rings.

The following polls include votes for The liberation:

First attempt IF by beecadee
Anyone wanting to write IF has to start somewhere. Looking for games that were authors' first attempts... First attempts in a given development system count!

Games with multiple endings by tggdan3
Obviously not counting "death" as an ending, but non-successful ends can count if there are other successful ends. Variation in endings should at least vary the ending somewhat (as opposed to be an extra word or two).

Games where you can't screw up by Pinstripe
Sometimes, when I'm playing a game, I spend more time juggling my save files than I do reading the text. I don't want to have to restart because I picked up the green rod instead of the clay jug (with apologies to Zarf). So I'm looking...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Stephane F. on 10 March 2020 at 5:20am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item