17776

by Jon Bois

Episode 1 of 17776
Science Fiction,
2017

Or, "What Football Will Look Like in the Future." A sci-fi work about three sentient space probes watching humans play extended football games, originally written for SB Nation.

Language: English (en-US)
Development System: HTML
TUID: cdkclws99kna5tud

Poynter
Robots, football and 2.3 million pageviews
Two things that make “17776” so immersive and engaging are its infinite scroll and dynamic loading aspects. Each installment of the storyline is contained on one web page, with new graphics, videos and GIFs loading in real-time as you scroll, à la “Snow Fall” by The New York Times.

“They’re not being shoved down the well, they’re crawling down it,” Bois said. “By scrolling they’re doing work by having to access it...I hope with that ownership that people are convinced to keep on going.”

Quartz
A dazzling piece of experimental fiction is serialized on a sports site
It’s 15,759 years in the future, and nobody dies—or is born—anymore. Instead the human race has reached a weird utopian equilibrium in which one way to self-entertain is epically long, large football games.

The interactive story, which you read by scrolling through dense images and colored dialog with occasional YouTube interludes, debuted on July 5...What’s apparent so far is that the protagonist is Nine, a space probe that has just become conscious while floating in space.

So far the story is funny and really works. The interactive elements are minimal, and the sidebars don’t take the reader too far away from the story... pulling even this non-sports fan along.

Opened my eyes to multimedia fiction, August 28, 2021
by Wynter (UK)

I read this a few years ago - it was the first piece of multimedia fiction that I had ever read, and it inspired me to go in search of internet-based fiction, which ultimately led me to IFDB.

17776 makes use of different formats - text, video, gif, even a calendar - to tell a rather bizarre but genuinely fascinating and original story. Reading through the first chapter in particular made me feel strangely unnerved and wonder what was going to happen. I don't want to give too much away, but it's set in the distant future when human life is extraordinarily different, and is told from an unusual perspective.

Although it's relatively low on the interactive elements, the multimedia aspect of it will appeal to people interested in new storytelling formats.

If you enjoyed 17776 ...

People who like 17776 also gave high ratings to these games:

500 Apocalypses, by Phantom Williams
500 Apocalypses is a web installation memorializing collapsed civilizations from across our universe. This interactive space is designed to allow contemplative engagement with five hundred curated entries from the Encyclopedia...

howling dogs, by Porpentine
death cube sim | galactic survey | visionatrix | facet machine | power gardens | women | fascination two significant endings

The Impossible Bottle, by Linus Åkesson
Housework is only as dull as your imagination. Join Emma, six years old, on a playful adventure of peculiar proportions. Merciful puzzlefest. Parser or point-and-click, as you please. Web (including mobile) or Z-machine.

This is version 7 of this page, edited by P. B. Parjeter on 25 August 2021 at 4:53am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item