recruit.gam
competition release

The Recruit

by Mike Sousa profile

2003

Try your hand at the Real Life Interactive Gaming Simulacra! You'll face a variety of challenges and simulations and have a chance to win some money and great prizes. Apply today!

Language: English (en-US)
Development System: TADS 2
IFID: TADS2-7449252ADD9CBC55B108D984FA0291B5
TUID: 9cs1ecdf0r8toqfk

Winner, Best Individual Puzzle - 2003 XYZZY Awards

7th Place - 9th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2003)

SPAG
I was slightly disappointed to discover a previously undeclared collaboration of authors. I hadn't noticed changes in writing style, so the final product must have been well edited. The concept is clever and the implementation rewards player effort, but still I felt let down. Surely all that brainpower (the names were of the famous variety) should have produced more game for my money. Is that is a backhanded compliment?
-- Virginia Gretton

>VERBOSE -- Paul O'Brian's Interactive Fiction Page

After finishing The Recruit, I found myself just smiling, and thinking, "Cool!" Like several of the other games in this comp, it was IF about IF, but this time about just how much fun IF can be. It doesn't provide much in the way of atmosphere or emotion, but it does pack the pleasures of good writing and interesting, interconnected puzzles, and that's enough for me.

A mid-length series of puzzles showcasing classic IF puzzle types, February 4, 2016

In this game, you go through a series of 7 rooms, each of which require you to complete a classic IF puzzle style. Rooms include a light source puzzle, a puzzleless puzzle, an NPC, and so on.

I found it to be hit or miss. I enjoyed the puzzles overall, though. I did use all of the hints, but the walkthrough was disabled, and so it was fun to try and make the intuitive leaps.

And the leaps are fun. I really recommend this for puzzle fans.

If you enjoyed The Recruit...