Requires a Z-Code interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.

Disenchantment Bay

by Jacqueline A Lott (with a head start from Emily Short) profile profile

Humor Travel Nature
2013

From the about text:

"The Inform 7 examples collectively known as Disenchantment Bay were born of a trip that Emily Short made with Dan Shiovitz to Alaska to visit me and Sam Kabo Ashwell, many years ago. 2004, I believe it was. We chartered a boat from the Yakutat Charter Boat Company to visit Hubbard Glacier, and before heading home we scooped up some bits of glacier ice for the creation of fancy mixed drinks once back on shore."

First Publication Date: January 6, 2013
IFID: F1B009C5-E955-46FD-92DD-1B4A61F319B1
TUID: 6y6sfwfk3cezl8gf

Entrant - The ultimate not numbered New Year's Speed IF

Just Chillin', February 23, 2020

A short and sweet game detailing a fictionalised trip to the Hubbard glacier, based on Emily Short's Disenchantment Bay example from Inform 7's docs.
The central puzzle is still the same but it has been fleshed out with all kinds of little environmental details to help bring the scene to life. Including some extra dialogue from the Captain. And a few general improvements to make the game easier to play.
I do wish that the characterisation had been taken further, and the dialogue a bit more polished before release, but I recognise the author was working under very limited time constraints. (Spoiler - click to show)And I did laugh at the Captain's silly joke about Titanic.
The real star of the show is actually the glacier itself. Which now feels much more vibrant than in the original piece. It's a constant presence as you move around the ship.
(Spoiler - click to show)There's also a fun new twist at the end which, while easily resolved, does add excitement to what is, essentially, a relaxed slice-of-life game.

All in all, a nice little 20-minute diversion.

If you enjoyed Disenchantment Bay...

People who like Disenchantment Bay also gave high ratings to these games:

TinyHillside, by Emily Short
A tiny post mortem Utopia for the Tiny Utopias jam.

Photopia, by Adam Cadre
"Will you read me a story?" "Read you a story? What fun would that be? I've got a better idea: let's tell a story together."

Lost in Reflections, by Alexis Kennedy, Richard Cobbett, Failbetter Games
Dark birds. Hungry mirrors. The death of an Emperor. A revolutionary who’d sell her future for one last day of sunlight. What waits in Parabola? What will you surrender? And who will you save?

The following polls include votes for Disenchantment Bay:

Games about travel by penguincascadia
This list is for games either about travel or with travel as a major part of the plot or background. Stuff like being able to choose where you go from a relatively wide range of destinations, road trips, exploring a city or region as a...

This is version 8 of this page, edited by Zape on 4 May 2021 at 10:21pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item