Zipped game file
Zipped file containing all Petite Mort entries to ECTOCOMP 2016

What to Do When You're Alone

by Glass Rat Media profile

A Petite Mort entry for ECTOCOMP 2016.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2016
TUID: 6rcbkjnzjhjxdu5m

10th Place, La Petite Mort - EctoComp 2016

A hyperlink simulation of a creepy search engine, July 1, 2017

In this short ectocomp game, you are using a creepy search engine that understands your true intentions, which true intentions get darker and darker over time.

This was fun, but on replay it was easier to see the forcing that occurred. Still, its well done for an ectocomp game.

It knows what you're thinking, December 12, 2016
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: phlegmatic, ECTOCOMP, ECTOCOMP 2016

[May mention suicide, abusive relationships, self-loathing. Time to completion: 5 minutes]

What to Do describes a Google with sinister intentions - one which sees through the user's seemingly innocuous searches to the doubt and fears behind it. Perhaps it is the intimacy of a search engine that fuels this idea, and the fact that we might address the search engine as we would a friend, and indeed, in the starting screen, the engine introduced itself by saying, "Don't worry about keywords; just talk to us like we're a friend.". It's the ultimate natural language processor, isn't it? These games ask, "What if your ultimate reference, your personal librarian, was thinking, remembering, learning?"

While it may be superficially and mechanically similar to Josh Giesbrecht's Awake, the intent of this game's search engine is unambiguous. Awake's search engine is wide-eyed with wonder. This is actively malicious - this was written for ECTOCOMP, after all.

The text effects are normally much maligned, but are used especially thoughtfully here, making What to Do work well as an interactive vignette of a sinister encounter.

If you enjoyed What to Do When You're Alone...