JUGAR EN LINEA

Virgin Space

by Billy Y. Fernández

Episode 1 of Textagames

Unamuno's snake has coiled itself in the black hole of the Galactic Roman and devours everything in its path. Get into the skin of the Captain Dominica and travel to the Virgin Space in a desperate attempt to stop the catastrophe.

Language: English, Castilian (en, es)
First Publication Date: January 9, 2020
License: Free
Development System: None
Forgiveness Rating: Polite
TUID: 4rdl0hzunszebqr8

A media-rich space exploration game, January 14, 2020

I really enjoyed the presentation of this game. It has background music, and an animated star background.

It has a different emphasis then most space sci-fi, almost like a space retelling of some fairy tale. The worldbuilding is good, with weird creatures. The writing was evocative and clear, although there were a few tonal decisions that I think might have come from the translation. I got stuck on the main puzzle for longer than I had thought I would, but I finished the game in about 15 or 20 minutes.

There's an itch version and an e-reader version, which is nice for people looking for more interactivity on the Kindle.

Special effort for bringing hypertext to e-readers, January 10, 2020

Virgin Space is a special effort to bring hypertext to several platforms at once, including e-readers. The format is superb, going beyond what gamebooks can achieve, all that beautifully rendered. The format is crafted with care and a nice visual design.

The story is brief. This is the length of a short tale but, personally, I liked it a lot. It even packs some puzzles!

Very recommended.

Now some notes on kindle ergonomics... There's a trend out there stating that interactive fiction didn't flourished in e-books and why. I have my own opinions: don't trust walled gardens. Old kindles are awful to navigate links, and Amazon never went to fix that.

Probably for modern, touchy e-readers this would work really fine. But if possess the good old Kindle, one has to navigate all those letters using the cursor, and then "double click" to fully proceed to the link destination. A Chorus! In the end I got accustomed to it (like we get accustomed to other elaborated interfaces, like the parser, or Killer 7 control scheme). In the end you are traversing the text to select the links, and that's just fine.

I'm eager to read more stories of this Textagames format.

If you enjoyed Virgin Space...