dilly.z5
Requires a Z-Code interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.

Trapped in a One-Room Dilly

by Laura Knauth

1998

A one-room game. It's nicely appointed, but...
[--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Current Version: Release 1
IFID: ZCODE-1-980917-1A60
TUID: 4jh66h2nl6sf1x2k

8th Place - 4th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (1998)

Baf's Guide

An entertaining diversion--you're trapped in a room with a whole slew of complicated objects, and the goal is to get out. Demonstrates some of the possibilities of the one-room approach--there are quite a lot of puzzles, for instance, as objects turn out to have more and more complexities over the course of the game. It's not quite as elegant as it might be--the room feels like an overstuffed attic, crammed with gadgets and toys, and it's easy to lose things in the shuffle--but it's still nicely done. One amusing touch: a bookshelf filled with books with plots that explain the one-room premise (e.g., alien abduction, mad scientist, etc.).

-- Duncan Stevens

>INVENTORY - Paul O'Brian writes about interactive fiction

OK, probably the first thing I should confess is that I'm not hip enough to know what a "dilly" is. My handy dictionary suggests that it means "something remarkable of its kind" -- their example is "a dilly of a movie." Somehow I don't think that's what's meant here. So, judging from context, I'm going to assume that "dilly" means "relatively enjoyable puzzle game with good coding and writing, but a few guess-the-verb problems and sometimes not enough synonyms implemented." If this is what dilly really means, then Trapped In A One-Room Dilly has the most accurate title of any game in the 1998 competition.

An early one room game that is pure puzzlefest, February 3, 2016

While not the first, this game was near the beginning of the wave of one room games. It was entered into IFCOMP the same year as Enlightenment, another popular one room game.

This game is just pure puzzle fest. Solve a puzzle and another pops out. There is a lights out type puzzle with pegs, a mathematical dart board, hidden objects, codes, etc. It's similar to the more recent Grandma Bethlindas puzzlebox.

Recommended for pure puzzle fans.

Excellent Puzzles! Loved It!, January 20, 2016
by Deboriole (San Diego, CA)

This game is on my all-time favorites list now. It is the epitome of the type of game I like: escaping from a single room. The puzzles are great and there is enough humor to make it entertaining throughout. The only advice I would give someone who hasn't played before: Don't assume you have thoroughly examined something if you feel there is more to the object than you already know — because you are probably right. A minor spoiler showing what I mean: (Spoiler - click to show)I got stuck in one place because I typed "listen" assuming it would include all of the sounds in the room, but what I really had to do was listen to something in particular. I recommend this game to puzzlers everywhere!

If you enjoyed Trapped in a One-Room Dilly...

People who like Trapped in a One-Room Dilly also gave high ratings to these games:

Final Exam, by Jack Whitham
Final Exam takes place in the near future after an AI revolution has led to the establishment of a new sort of government. You are seeking a job within this government: your performance in the “final exam” determines the outcome. You...

Entangled, by Dark Star
Caught up in a time-travel experiment gone wrong, the actions you perform in the past will ripple forward in time. Can you find your way back without unraveling the universe? A small town stirs in your wake.

Alter Ego, by Peter J. Favaro
The game allows the user to make decisions for an imaginary person (being therefore the player's alter ego) and shows what possible consequences these decisions could have on that person. Alter Ego is available in both male and female...

Trapped in a One-Room Dilly appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for September 2020 by David Welbourn
During the morning of Monday September 28, 2020, I published new walkthroughs for the games and stories listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new...

The following polls include votes for Trapped in a One-Room Dilly:

Great Escapes by JonathanCR
Everyone knows that "escape the room" games and puzzles are an IF cliché. But which are the best examples of this classic genre?

One room games by cpuguy
I would like to know what one room games are available. I enjoyed the acorn court, and am looking for more similar games.

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Paul O'Brian on 6 May 2022 at 12:52am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item