Dungeon Detective 2.zip

Dungeon Detective 2: Devils and Details

by Wonaglot

Episode 2 of Dungeon Detective
Fantasy/Mystery

The life of the world's first Dungeon Detective isn't exactly glamorous. You've spent many nights hungry, sleeping in the woods. But word is getting out, and the newest case has showed up at the foot of your bed in the first room you've rented in months. Like your other employers, he can scarcely believe you're a gnoll - something people say looks like a malicious hyena standing on two legs.

Pack clues into your bag while exploring a living city in day or night. Pick your suspect, then close the case. Oh, and try not to part with your soul in the process?

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
IFID: 7E08D317-665B-4B39-A819-F4F1D76D49FE
TUID: 3qkj39w2kk7rp7bo

Sequel to Dungeon Detective, by Wonaglot, Caitlin Mulvihill

Nominee - Sniff Chewpaw, Best Individual PC - 2019 XYZZY Awards

11th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

Engrossing mystery in a fantasy setting, November 28, 2019

My biggest critique of last year's Dungeon Detective was that I wanted more game to play, which is really more of a compliment than a critique. Well, I got what I wanted! Dungeon Detective 2 continues the adventures of our furry sleuth, Sniff Chewpaw. This time he's hired by a devil to look into the bombing of the devil's dungeon, and the resulting investigation is both longer and more in-depth than the one in the first DD. There are several more characters to interview, night and day periods that offer you different event options, a couple of minigames, and a currency system where you can earn and spend money. There's also an animated Chewpaw graphic, which is quite fun. You've got a lot to keep track of, but it all worked for me, and I found myself more engrossed in Dungeon Detective 2 than I did its predecessor.

A couple of critiques: The dungeon itself is on the small side, but there's enough interesting content before you reach the dungeon that that doesn't matter too much. There are also a few too many typos for my taste. But these are minor critiques, especially compared with Dungeon Detective 2's immersive play and appealing PC.

The original IFComp version had some bugs in it that stopped gameplay for me (and perhaps others). I suspect the game would have placed even higher in IFComp without those bugs, and I hope the author makes an updated version of the game publicly available.

One of my favorite games from IFComp 2019.

Big city mystery with a gnoll detective in a fantasy setting, October 2, 2019

What can I say? I loved Dungeon Detective 1, and this is like the bigger, stronger cousin of that game. It's a clue-gathering mystery, D&D-esque setting, sweet interface, a day-night cycle, clever dialogue. This hits up all of my niche interests in addition to just being a well-polished game.

It's not without its faults. As my gnoll explored the city, making money and investigating, I ran into some hiccups on my end. Money took a bit to figure out. Some leads were difficult to pursue. It was occasionally hard to know what to do. But are these faults, or essential parts of the game experience? I got a satisfactory, though not perfect, ending.

I love it, overall. Because mystery and D&D are niche interest for me, I cannot guarantee others will enjoy it as much as I did.

If you enjoyed Dungeon Detective 2: Devils and Details...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Dungeon Detective 2: Devils and Details, or gave both high ratings:

Dungeon Detective, by Wonaglot, Caitlin Mulvihill
You're a gnoll. Whether that's a blessing or a curse is up to you. Unlike other gnolls, you're trying to eke out a simple existence by plying your trade - that of the world's first Dungeon Detective. Amass clues and present them to your...

Savage Island, Part II, by Scott Adams and Russ Wetmore
The suspense begun in Adventure #10 now comes to an incredible conclusion with SAVAGE ISLAND PART II! This Adventure requires you to have successfully finished #10, wherein you were given the secret password to begin this final half....

Quite Queer Night Near, by Andrew Schultz
Quite Queer Night Near is a text adventure where you need to escape a small silly nightmare by finding the right rhyming pairs to advance. How will you get beyond the bare bones stair stones and find your freedom? The game is not...

Dungeon Detective 2: Devils and Details appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best of each authoring system by Denk
I intend to try the best games of each authoring system, so there will no doubt be many changes to this list in the future. So far, I think the following games are the best for each system I have tried: (games in alphabetic order)

Funniest games by Denk
These games are not the best games, but the games that made me laugh the most. They may not be funny all the time but they contain one or more funny passages.

Best fantasy games by MathBrush
These are my favorite games that include some sort of magical or fantastical element. Games with mostly horror or sci-fi elements are on other lists, as are surreal games, fairy tale/nursery games, and religious/mythological games. I've...

The following polls include votes for Dungeon Detective 2: Devils and Details:

Trying to find a good comedy. by H. W. Wiliams
I'm hoping to find a good comedy IF title. I've been away for a while and want a good laugh before I head back to work. Any suggestions?

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Setting of 2019 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2019 which you think might be worth considering for Best Setting in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination.This is not an official list. The point of poll is partly to suggest...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Overall NPCs of 2019 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2019 which you think might be worth considering for Best NPCs in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination.This is not an official list. The point of poll is partly to suggest games...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Wonaglot on 16 February 2020 at 3:15pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item