Play Online

The Compass Rose

by Yoon Ha Lee and Peter Berman

There's more than one north by which to guide a world.

The survivor of a space raid colonizes a new world with the aid of a compass rose.

First Publication Date: August 18, 2015
TUID: 3oje91vihhg5lc0a

Emily Short's Interactive Storytelling
There is some lovely imagery; and how many other games, IF or otherwise, make the game about the composition of a culture? All the same, I felt some of the time that I was working with the skeleton of a story, rather than the story itself...

If you enjoyed The Compass Rose...

People who like The Compass Rose also gave high ratings to these games:

The Moonlit Tower, by Yoon Ha Lee

Creatures Such As We, by Lynnea Glasser
A dating sim about how humanity connects through art, even out in the vastness of space.

Metamorphoses, by Emily Short
You wake to stillness. The hammering, banging, and shouting that kept you awake half the night are gone. The air is cold, and something smells burnt. Your master's experiments must be finished, but with what result?

The following polls include votes for The Compass Rose:

Games with non-standard directions by Andrew Schultz
I'm wondering about games (primarily parser) with weird directions beyond NW/SW/SE/NE, up, down or inside/outside. I like the example in the Inform docs (Charles S. Roberts) about hexagonal directions but have no clue how to go about...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Emily Boegheim on 30 November 2015 at 8:14am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item