Play the game online, or download it
beebgames.zip

Rick Hanson

by Robert O'Leary and Mike O'Leary

Episode 1 of Saga of a Spy
Espionage
1985

As Rick Hanson, special agent, you find yourself in a disused railway station at the start of another secret mission. What the mission is, you do not know, but you are sure it must be important because the Chief has assigned you to the case!

This was originally published for the BBC/Electron and later published for the Atari 8-bit and Amstrad CPC.

The Atari XL/XE version was programmed by Nick Gregory using an enhanced version of 'The Slave'. This included extra puzzles and items.

The Amstrad version also included more puzzles and ten extra locations.

License: Former commercial
TUID: 2zy6kxbabrkjxe35

Page 6
Rick Hanson is a Special Agent somewhat like James Bond. He presumably has the same license to kill, for in this game, he is given the mission of assassinating General Garantz. We are not told anything about General Garantz or why he should be killed except that he is evil and needs to be eliminated "to save the world from the final holocaust". Sounds a bit melodramatic doesn't it?

Once the game is booted and you've been through the titles, you are presented with a rich and atmospheric room description. All room descriptions are excellent, although I would often argue about the sentence structure. This is a personal point, but a sentence is easier to read when a descriptive phrase is placed near the noun it is describing. Rick Hanson tends to put them at the opposite ends of the sentence. The only descriptive error I noticed was where the tarmac road came to an end. The description said it joined a dirt trail to the west, but it should have been to the east.

Rick Hanson on IFDB

Rick Hanson appears in the following Recommended Lists:

I Was A Teenage Adventure Gamer by J. J. Guest
I grew up playing IF on the Acorn Electron, and later the BBC Master Compact. My aim here is to create a complete list of all the games that were in my collection back in the 8-bit era. It is not a Recommended List as such. Most of the...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Garry Francis on 18 June 2022 at 11:54am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item