Fat Ass

by Naomi Norbez (call me Bez) profile

Jupiter Johnson's deal with the devil is off. Soon, she will change.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2021
TUID: 2przhmcrruzxezu6

15th Place, La Petite Mort - English - ECTOCOMP 2021

Kinetic fiction about demons and obesity, November 11, 2021

I played both versions of this game: the 'basic' 0.5 mb strippd-down version and the full 800 mb version with multimedia. The latter is definitely better, since the contrast of blocky white letters on black background makes the basic version hard to read.

This is a fairly short game, as typical for Ectocomp games, but maximizes its content by being choice-free. This style is sometimes known as Kinetic fiction, which draws its interaction potential from our own self-pacing and choosing to further the story. It doesn't always work for me, but when the writing is good, like here, I like it. Another good example is Polish the Glass.

The story is about a woman whose mother hates fat and pressures her to make a deal with a demon that would keep her skinny forever...until it didn't.

I've seen a lot of discussion of fatphobia online, with camps who are extremely upset with each other. The most extreme on one side get extremely upset at any online posts showing a person who's not skinny, while the most extreme on the other claim that obesity doesn't cause any health problems.

This game focuses on a gentler course than either of those extremes. Instead of telling us whether fatness is good or bad, it asks us to decouple our personal sense of worth from our body size; we can still make plans on decide what to do with our weight, but not to please others or out of shame.

I think that's an important message, since a guilt-fueled obsession with weight can lead to many bad habits that are worse than simply being overweight in the first place, such as eating disorders.

If you enjoyed Fat Ass...

People who like Fat Ass also gave high ratings to these games:

Bi Lines, by Naomi Z (as Norbez)
So what if you're unsure? What if you're falling apart? Forget about yourself and worry about them. That's what she'd want. (Note: This game poured out of me during the Brett Kavanaugh hearings in America, and the discussion of sexual...

Sunless Skies, by Failbetter Games
SAIL THE STARS. BETRAY YOUR QUEEN. MURDER A SUN. Sunless Skies is a Gothic Horror roleplay game with a focus on exploration and exquisite storytelling for PC, Mac and Linux.

Ultimate Escape Room: IF City, by Mark Stahl
You and your friends have fallen into the escape room craze that has swept the country in recent years. You love the feeling of living out a real life adventure game. You've made plans with your friends to try out a local escape room...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by N. Cormier on 31 October 2021 at 4:01pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item