Guilded Youth

- Lucy Bean, December 7, 2018

- ja, bo ja, August 28, 2017

Memorable Interface; Unmemorable Story, February 27, 2017
by Audiart (Davis, CA)
Guilded Youth looks and feels great, but unfortunately lacks in its puzzles and a real sense of satisfaction upon completion. The interface is a very convincing and well-implemented reminder of my gaming youth and is the only really memorable part of the game.

At first I was drawn in by the story (which I could relate to) and the thrill of exploration. However, the repetition and somewhat jarring moments of returning to "reality" interrupted this otherwise quite pleasant nostalgic experience.

I never felt much connection with the characters so the more emotional scenes had little impact. Repetition of the main scene quickly became tedious and the puzzles, while not difficult, were frustrating to execute. Ultimately I would not have pressed on with the game were it not for the charming interface.

This game is nice to look at but not as nice to actually play. In some ways maybe the 80s were really like that, but I wanted to re-experience my memories of that time period, not to be reminded of the dissonance.

- Denk, October 28, 2016

- Witchy W, August 7, 2016

- Space Cowboy, July 19, 2016

- E. W. B., February 23, 2016

Semi-graphical teenager romp, February 3, 2016
This enjoyable game is more story than puzzle, although it uses a parser. You play a teenager with access to an online community. Actions are strongly limited, mostly TAKE, LOOK, and SHOW. You investigate an abandoned house, and have to entice others to come with you.

What made this game work for me was the contrast between your friends online personas and their real-life selves, including yourself. Chris and Maximus gave especially funny contrasts.

The game in the end works as a slice-of-life story. There is one significant choice, and unfortunately it comes at the very end of the game, with no opportunity to save, which prevents lawn-mowering (i.e. trying every branch).

- Deka, February 23, 2015

- Floating Info, December 22, 2014

- Marco Innocenti (Florence, Italy), October 26, 2014

- Sobol (Russia), September 18, 2014

- OtisTDog, December 30, 2013

- David Whyld (Derbyshire, United Kingdom), October 20, 2013

A Great IF Adventure, October 18, 2013
by Tristano (Italy)
I really enjoyed playing «Guilded Youth». It’s not the usual IF adventure for in some ways the plot tends to be guided by the game itself thus offering a smooth interactive story-like experience more than a brain-teasing guessing the next move experience. Yet, the experience of immersion into the story is very strong.

The game creates right from its start a strong setting, it has a fast pace and the player flows with story without bumbs and doubts. Accativating graphics and sound contribute to the successful worldbuilding of «Guilded Youth».

I strongly advice playing this game both to IF veterans as well as newbyes — newbyes will profit from a non-frustrating game experience, and veterans will enjoy a neatly build story which is fun and easy to play.
It took me overall about half hour to complete the game. It was fun and challenging (not in a "guess the verb" way but rather in a "what's next" way).

Well done Jim Munroe