atwctw.z8
Requires a Z-Code interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.

And the Waves Choke the Wind

by Gunther Schmidl

Pirates/Lovecraftian
2000

"some thing inside of me has opened up its eyes why did you put it there? did you not realize?" [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

Current Version: Release 1
IFID: ZCODE-1-000914-3EAA
TUID: 3pbb1qgt5sgiwxpk

Off-Site Reviews

>VERBOSE -- Paul O'Brian's Interactive Fiction Page

Apparently, the version of ATWCTW that was entered in the comp this year, despite the fact that it's 173K and in .z8 format (a combination I confess I don't quite understand), is actually only a preview of the real ATWCTW, which I assume is forthcoming sometime. Still, even though it ends rather abruptly, as many adventure game demos do, this version is a substantial chunk of adventuring all on its own. For one thing, it has clearly been coded with a great deal of care. ATWCTW feels almost like a commercial graphic adventure game in terms of the number of features it offers for players.

SPAG

The author does well to create a sense of foreboding throughout the piece, and generally it succeeds in maintaining an atmosphere of dread. This was only occasionally deflated by a poorly chosen phrase ('butt naked' and a reference to 'the enemies you've wasted' seem anachronistic) or an unsuitable quotation (Lovecraft and the Necronomicron are fine -- but Nine Inch Nails?)
-- Alfredo Garcia

SynTax
It is a H. P. Lovecraft-style horror and the story is told in flashback style. I didn't get very far in this game as I couldn't work out what to do and the hints were disabled!
-- Dorothy Millard

Page Update History

v.6: 22-Jun-2017 19:31 - David Welbourn (Current Version) - Edit Page - Normal View
Changed download links