To access Fallen London stories, you must have a Fallen London account, and you may then buy access to the story from the Fate page.

The Frequently Deceased

by Emily Short profile and Failbetter Games

Episode 11 of Fallen London Exceptional Stories

A family of promising youngsters have killed their Governess again. This time, she hasn't come back.

Question servants across London. The chief glass-cleaner at the House of Mirrors. The attendants at a honey-den. Your own staff. Keep the children distracted with Enthralling Tales and your least lethal pets.

Find the Unsinkable Governess.

Play An Exceptional Story: Staffing Difficulties to begin.

First Publication Date: February 25, 2016
License: Commercial
Development System: StoryNexus
TUID: zyqlzzw2wm2n6rkv

Search for a governess who has repeatedly died, April 14, 2021

This was a great Exceptional Story by Fallen London.

When I first wrote reviews, I wrote a lot of dumb things (a habit I have kept to this day). When I first reviewed Bee, I think I wrote that 'Short doesn't write choice games as well as those like Porpentine who exclusively write choice-based games'. (I've since removed it).

The thing is, by now Emily Short is one of the most experienced people out there in Choice-based narratives, and quality-based narratives. This exceptional story, written a few years after Bee, shows complete control and artistry with the medium.

Your character is asked to investigate the disappearance of a governess who had been killed three times already (death being a relatively minor inconvenience in the setting of Fallen London). To learn more about her, you go an a quest across all the main areas of Fallen London, learning more about how servants in every area live and providing insight into a class of people often overlooked in these games.

In addition, the story has very nuanced characters with individual narrative arcs, like the children and the governess herself.

There was a Flash Lay (a randomized pursuit) in the middle of the story which is a mechanic that I think is independent of the main story in terms of content; I found that a little slow and not as interesting as the rest, but I don't think it was developed directly as part of this story.

A fascinating character study and a satisfying mystery.

If you enjoyed The Frequently Deceased...