Wrenlaw.zblorb
Walkthrough and Map

Wrenlaw

by Ryan Veeder profile

2013

It would be nice to know what you're looking for.

First Publication Date: April 28, 2013
IFID: 6492CD86-BE5B-4B84-A2DA-27734CB908B3
TUID: z1owjprlmrms8f8s

A la recherche de quoi?, June 18, 2013
by stadtgorilla (Munich, Germany)

Somehow this miniature by Ryan Veeder, none other than the author of the wonderful 2011 if comp winner "Taco Fiction", has so far been more or less overlooked (granted, it's only about six weeks old at the time of the writing of this review). I'm pretty enchanted by the piece. A little game about the power of memory, synaesthesia, loss. Without much of an introduction, the player starts wandering around a park scenery near the highway looking for -yeah, what exactly?, deciphering pieces of a romantic backstory. Beautifully written, as was to be expected from Veeder, and not without its genuinely funny moments despite the emotional topic. Highly recommended!

Sweet little game, December 2, 2013
by streever (America)

I enjoyed this short game.

Wandering around a small recreational park, the character remembers things, as he searches for a geocached blue box.

Short, sweet, and rewarding, the prose here was really lovely, and I had a strong sense of the park. There are some other elements tucked away here as well--all in all, a very pleasant 30 minutes or so of exploration.

Short and atmospheric game touching on deeper meanings, February 27, 2017
by Audiart (Davis, CA)

Like all exploration games by Ryan Veeder, I only wish it were longer.

The atmosphere of Wrenlaw immediately drew me in. It felt uncannily autobiographical; I've been there, this very place, done these very things. Wandering, seeking purpose, imbuing what I find with a meaning drawn from memory.

Wrenlaw opens more questions than it answers. There are no traditional puzzles, just wandering through your environment and your memories. But what are you searching for? Did you find it? Can that which we are seeking ever be really objectified?

If you enjoyed Wrenlaw...