Medicum Veloctic

by Lawrence M Marable

Grimdark superhero melodrama, April 18, 2021
Related reviews: Spring Thing 2021

My fingers keep wanting to type this as ďMedium VelocticĒ, but there is nothing mid-range about this superhero medical thriller, which has its dial set all the way at 11 throughout its hourlong run time. Thereís a lot thatís well-crafted here, including some fun puzzles and a refreshingly diverse take on a comic-book milieu, though the grimdark setting and over-the-top writing made it too exhausting for me to fully enjoy.

There are a couple of interesting things Medicum Veloctic is doing. One is the character dynamics; the primary driver of the story is the eponymous Veloctic, a tortured vigilante in the Batman mold whose struggles against a new supervillain provide the main plot business. The player-character, though, is his lover, whoís a doctor and responsible for patching up Veloctic Ė his real nameís Arthur, which Iím going to use from now on Ė when he oh-so-frequently gets his teeth kicked in. This leads to the puzzles, which are another novel element: in each major sequence, you need to diagnose and treat Arthur with the assistance of a handy, sidebar-accessible medical manual. And Arthur isnít just Batman, heís a gay Asian Batman, and the player character is a Hispanic man (named Reyes). Their respective identities donít play a major role in proceedings, but itís still nice to see.

Thereís also a lot thatís much more standard. Top of that list is the worldbuilding and plot. Weíre squarely in Iron Age comics territory: Veloctic comes with your standard angst-filled backstory (albeit with an unexplained-in-my-playthrough soupÁon of parricide) and hyperviolent m.o., and the villain is a nihilist who just wants to stack up dead bodies. Thereís one ďinvestigationĒ sequence with some brushed-through mystery-solving, but mostly the story is a rush from one bone-breaking, blood-spurting fight to the next.

The relationship between the two characters also felt more identikit than I would have liked. Reyes subsumes his personality in taking care of Arthur, whoís got few compunctions about his self-destructive crusade but feels guilty about the toll itís taking on his lover. Reyes has a job offer lurking in the background (from the WHO, which is a detail that doesnít feel like it makes sense), providing the hope or threat of escaping the cycle. These dynamics are established early and donít feel like they meaningfully evolve until they abruptly shift in the ending.

With solid prose, these less-inventive elements could have been fine, I think, but I have to confess I didnít like the writing. Beyond a fair number of typos and technical errors, itís melodramatic to a fault:

"The mask is worn for redemption not to paint oneself further in sin. But can you take the mask off before God and have him still call you clean?"

Unsurprisingly, itís completely po-faced, and though Reyes repeatedly describes Arthur as a motormouth, Spidey-type character whoís always ready with a quip, the only thing that made me laugh was a throwaway sentence in the medical reference book that ďflame-throwers are unbelievably common.Ē The game also crams way, way too much Ė emotion, detail, and frankly number of words Ė into its overloaded paragraphs:

"Licentia, thatís what the new villain calls himself; and god above do you hate it. You hate it so much. But he declared it on top of a bridge while fighting Veloctic so now itís true, and he was one for the show when he shouted it at the cameras, all before getting grabbed by the Veloctic and slammed into a nearby beam. Earlier today he let an explosion go off at two banks across the city, it would have been five if Arthur didnít manage to stop three of them at the last second."

The dialogue between the two lead characters is written the same way, full alternately of violent argument and lust. Some of this works in an overheated romance-novel sort of way, but I found myself wishing there was less Sturm und Drang and more opportunities for the conflict to slow down, so I could get to know who Arthur and Reyes are when theyíre not furiously yelling at and/or making out with each other.

The writing also goes into a lot of unpleasant detail on the trauma Arthur inflicts and has inflicted upon him, but this at least is necessary to support the main gameplay element, which is the medical problem-solving you get up to in between fights. These sequences arenít too graphic, and I found they hit a satisfying balance between too easy and too complex Ė at each point you generally have a choice between three of four plausible-seeming options, and the reference book provides a handy cheat-sheet while still requiring the player to match the descriptions in the main text to the corresponding clinical diagnoses. Iím not sure whether itís possible to completely mess these up, or if your performance meaningfully impacts the story, but they do add a welcome note of interactivity while underlining the storyís themes about the toll the vigilante lifestyle imposes.

The presentation is a high point too. Thereís a brooding color scheme thatís readable while fitting the overall vibe, punctuated by the occasional well-chosen photo. Itís on-point but nicely understated at the same time, and I just wish the rest of the game was more in line with the visual design. With more measured pacing that added some downtime in between the dramatic extremes, and a polish pass to clean up the typos and dial down the purple prose, this would be pretty great Ė as it is, Medicum Veloctic gets a lot right, even if it is a bit too much of an adolescent yawp for my taste.