En una noche de invierno vino el trapero cantando bajo tu ventana
Spanish original version 2008.
This is a pseudo-format used to represent download adviser records that apply to multiple formats. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
English story file

Once upon a winter night, the ragman came singing under your window

by Expio

horror
2008

"Maybe it was the cold or the sensation of emptiness to my side, but I was fully awake. I didn't dare to move, so I just lay there, very still, looking at the ceiling with my hands hidden under the sheets.

I suppose it has happened to you some time. You wake up in the late hours in the night, with the sensation that there's someone in your room, and end up lightning a candle to find that there's nobody there, just a nocturnal mouse at most.

Only this time I knew he was nearby."

First created for the Spanish competition Rapidocomp 2.

Awards:

Rapidocomp 2 (2008)
Premios en las categorías de Obra más literaria y
Mejor PSI (el trapero).
Premios Hispanos 2008
Premio en la categoría de Calidad Literaria.

English localization by Ruber Eaglenest for Ectocomp 2019.

Editorial revision by Caleb Wilson.

Language: English, Castilian (en, es)
TUID: xe5kgu2835eyak8

9th Place, Le Grand Guignol - ECTOCOMP 2019

Unforgettable, January 4, 2021

Some will find this game disturbing, but I definitely recommend it if you're looking for a surreal game that evokes images of an older, darker time, and deals in the sort of monsters seen in woodcut-illustrated books from the nineteenth century, when fairytales were far more sinister.

The game can be a bit frustrating due to under-implementation... but it was written for Rapidocomp, so that comes with the territory.

I may never have found the ending if I hadn't been playing as part of a group. There are clues to what you're meant to do, contained in text you are 100% likely to encounter in the game. Part of the reason you may struggle to find the solution is that it's ... counterintuitive. But the author definitely gives you the clue or two that you need. If you can hang in there until you figure out the solution on your own, you're more likely to get the full impact of the ending.

If you really can't figure it out, the command you're looking for is (Spoiler - click to show)FEED RAGMAN.

If, after you play the game, you'd like to see the moment when ClubFloyd figured it out, and our reaction, here's the ending, which I feel is worth reading all the way down to the jokes and puns at the end.

It's not the most polished game in the world, but I will always remember the writing and the experience, which is why it gets a 5 from me.

A very descriptive speed-IF game with a timer and pretty gross ending, November 19, 2019

My reaction to this game was "Wow!" followed by frustrated noises followed by "Ewwww".

This is a speed-IF, so programming and grammar bugs are here, but I was so impressed with the vivid writing and setting as the game began. A mysterious ragman comes into your house and gives you 5 heartbeats (or game moves) to give him what he wants.

But it doesn't tell you what he wants. I spent a long time guessing many different things, and I was frustrated.

The solution was, frankly, gross. Not that I think (Spoiler - click to show)breastfeeding is gross, but the fact that (Spoiler - click to show)the monster would desire it. It's written fairly similar to rape, in the sense that a man is demanding use of a woman's organs.

If you enjoyed Once upon a winter night, the ragman came singing under your window...

People who like Once upon a winter night, the ragman came singing under your window also gave high ratings to these games:

Ryan Veeder's Authentic Fly Fishing, by Ryan Veeder
Relax at the Jewel Pond Recreation Area with Ryan Veeder as your guide.

Open Sorcery, by Abigail Corfman
You are online. You are fire and order. You are here to protect. ---- "Open Sorcery" is a game about technology, magic and becoming a person. It follows the development of an Elemental Firewall--a creature of intertwined magic and code....

Escape | 逃出去: A text adventure game for Chinese learners, by Olle Linge and Kevin Bullaughey
Escape is an interactive graded reader where you need to both understand the text and make the right decisions to get to the end of the story. The story begins with the main character (you) trapped in a room for unclear reasons, and you...

Once upon a winter night, the ragman came singing under your window appears in the following Recommended Lists:

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Zape on 4 January 2021 at 1:25pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item