largemac.z5

2001

IFID: ZCODE-1-010905-2ABC
TUID: w4wy7h2jgv6ch13c

A fantastic plaything for a lexically-enhanced cyborg, February 20, 2008
by Michael Martin (Mountain View, California)

This is a (mostly) one-room game that has a single puzzle - escape from the room in which you have inadvertently trapped yourself. This is largely a set-piece to unleash the awe-inspiring power of the Large Machine itself, and to sort out what your various options will provide.

In solving this game I found it necessary to replicate much of its logic in programs of my own to provide a more sensible search space, but even this was not enough, because the items the Large Machine generates can be transformed by other means.

In sum: very silly, incredibly complex (and breakable if you try to make things too degenerate), and probably unsolvable by the unaided human mind. I enjoyed this game a great deal, but I have an unholy love of wordplay. Everyone else, beware - but at least admire it from a safe distance.

A bizarre, long, unfair but fun parody wordplay game, September 24, 2018
Related reviews: 2-10 hours

I do everything I can to complete games before I review them. I read walkthroughs, I look up old message boards, and, at last resort, I decompile to get the text.

This game is one of those rare ones (such as Hard Puzzle 2) where decompiling is worthless. In this case, the text of the game is literally split into two interleaving fragments, so that no whole words remain.

You have a huge anagram machine which makes anagrammed words out of anything you put in it. The results can be used, eaten, modified, entered, etc.

There are a lot of rough edges in the implementation, which is part of the overall effect. I don't know of anyone whose solved it. I got very far this time, but I forget how to do all the puzzles I had solved when I tried this last year. I'd love to see a team of people on a forum solve this one.

If you enjoyed Large Machine...

People who like Large Machine also gave high ratings to these games:

Anchorhead, by Michael Gentry
You take a deep breath of salty air as the first raindrops begin to spatter the pavement, and the swollen, slate-colored clouds that blanket the sky mutter ominous portents amongst themselves over the little coastal town of Anchorhead....

Violet, by Jeremy Freese
Calm down. All you have to do is write a thousand words and everything will be fine. And you have all day, except it's already noon. [blurb from IF Comp 2008]

Wishbringer, by Brian Moriarty
It's an ordinary day in your ordinary little town, and you've been performing your ordinary mail clerk's duties in an altogether ordinary way. But there's something quite extraordinary in today's mail. It's a ransom note for a kidnapped...

Large Machine appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Word-play games by Emily Short
Games where the text of the game is part of the puzzle.

The following polls include votes for Large Machine:

Unplayable (or almost unplayable) games you love by loudcat
I've been thinking about games with game-breaking bugs (or games that repeatedly crash and are hard to get through) that are otherwise really solid games. Do you have any games like this?

The absolute hardest non-broken games you've played by MathBrush
After reading Jason Dyer's post on his excellent adventure blog (at bluerenga.wordpress.com) about the hardest adventure ever (which I haven't tried yet, but want to!). Everyone has a game that they've experienced that is just absolutely...

Solved without Hints by joncgoodwin
I'm very interested in hearing truthful accounts of at least somewhat difficult games (or games that don't solve themselves at least) solved completely without recourse to hints, walkthroughs, etc.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Eriorg on 29 March 2008 at 3:31pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item