The Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost - Play for free at ChooseYourStory.​com

Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost (expanded 2019 version)

by Briar Rose

Episode 1 of Price of Freedom
Historical

You are ten years old when you first feel the weight of shackles around your wrists. In a matter of hours, your whole world is turned upside down as you and your brother are dragged away from your home in Greece to work as slaves in the Roman Empire. Now you must struggle for survival. Every decision you make will affect your future. Your life, the life of your brother and the lives of your friends are in your hands.

Note: This game is an update of the original version of The Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost, published in 2014. The update contains three more stats, a choice of names for your character, the option to play as either male or female, two extra chapters, far more background and character development, and is over twice as long as the original, with a total of over 100,000 words.

First Publication Date: March 29, 2019
Development System: ChooseYourStory
Forgiveness Rating: Polite
TUID: vtt1306u8dnsfrsy

Good Gladiator story, but too short., December 4, 2019
by Rovarsson (Belgium)
Related reviews: History

I'm rather new at Choice-games, but this one, with its ancient Rome theme appealed to me.

I very much liked the customizing of my character at the beginning. You can choose male or female, which doesn't seem to have any effect on further gameplay. The way you assign further strengths and talents was very rewarding to me. You get stat-points based on your choice of family background, and on the choice of the mythological character you're named after. (Diana, goddes of woods, wildlife and hunting, gives you a headstart in Stealth, for example.)

It's well written, apart from a typo here and there. It's also well structured. A coherent story of development as a fledgling gladiator, with attention to development of fighting skills (of course) but also of various personal relations. Do you choose sibling loyalty above a strong training ally? Do you choose friendship above a good rapport with your trainer or master?

These decisions play a clear role in how well you fare in your first battle in the arena. Just before and during that fight, you also make difficult but influential decisions (weapons choice, tactics, who you help and who you leave to fend for themselves). Deep involvement with your character here.

And then it's over...

This game feels like a very good introductory chapter to a longer, fully fleshed out novella about the life of a roman gladiator/slave. Will she earn or buy her freedom? Will he become trainer of gladiators that follow? Will she escape with her brother and confront their father? How about his friends, enemies, allies, trainers?

I, for one, would very much welcome a continuation.

I felt hungry for more.

Truly Special, December 31, 2020

This story is wonderful. It's not perfect, but it provides an unforgettable experience. Everything is crafted with enough love and care that a reader can feel it. I really recommend this story to anyone who is interested in a gladiator story. On a base level the plot sounds exceptionally plain, but in practice it shines. This works so well it's actually not funny.

A Great Start to a Promising Series, March 30, 2019

The Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost is a wonderful story about two brothers' struggle with surviving life as gladiators in training. It is filled with well written characters who truly feel like real people, with their own struggles and motivations. The setting is very descriptive and the story flows smoothly and naturally. Overall, it is a very well written and engaging story.

I would highly recommend this story to anyone who enjoys gladiators, the Roman Empire, or is just looking for a good story to pass the time.

If you enjoyed Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost (expanded 2019 version)...

People who like Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost (expanded 2019 version) also gave high ratings to these games:

Merlin: Origins, by Shadowdrake27
Merlin Ambrosius was just an electrician working in Britain. His last job was on an archeological site doing the lighting for what was believed to be the home of Merlin the Magician. He accidentally got himself sent back in time to the...

331 Oakmount Drive, by Yunakitty
Another day, another house to clean... but something is definitely wrong with this house.....

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?, by Urman0
My interpretation of one of my favorite TV shows from childhood: Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego? This work is primarily based on the TV game show version rather than the computer game, book, or cartoon versions. Author's note:...

Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost (expanded 2019 version) appears in the following Recommended Lists:

2020 Alternative Top 100 by Denk
(Created 24-Jul-2020) Philosophy: 1. If a game only has 5-star ratings, it is because the game hasn't received enough ratings. 2. Games with few ratings can still be among the best. 3. Sometimes the average score is the best metric. The...

The following polls include votes for Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost (expanded 2019 version):

Best cover art by MathBrush
What games have really good cover art?

I am new to interactive fiction, could anyone recommend a game for me? by Urtikor
Hello, I just recently came across interactive fiction and I want to try it out and see if it's my kind of thing. I tried Dreamhold for maybe half an hour, but even though it seemed well written, solving puzzles isn't interesting for me....

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Zape on 1 March 2021 at 4:17am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item