La Faille

by Chester

"La Faille est une nouvelle fantastique interactive dans laquelle un groupe d’adolescent en voyage scolaire va devoir faire face à la disparition mystérieuse d’une de leurs camarades de classe… Prenez part à cette aventure aux limites du réel avec au programme : une course d’orientation périlleuse, d’étranges ruines, et des révélations en pagaille !

Expérimentez l’histoire comme bon vous semble avec trois routes disponibles, et guidez le protagoniste vers une des deux fins qui s’offrent à vous.

Il est conseillé de jouer à version PC/Mac/Linux. Mais si vous préférez, la version web est jouable, mais peut contenir quelques bugs."

Language: French (fr)
First Publication Date: January 11, 2021
Development System: Ren'Py
TUID: u42qqoum7gjm6b4m

Winner - French Comp 2021

Excellent and moving French sci-fi visual novel about a summer trip, February 16, 2021

I am absolutely not a fan of visual novels usually, as they're harder to pick up and put down due to timed text and the graphics usually take up most of the screen making it harder to multitask.

Despite that, I found this game great. It's an entry in the French comp for 2021. The gameplay is spread over 4 days and several locations, each with their own theme music.

While art isn't usually part of my review criteria, they really nailed it here, and the art is very responsive, with parallalax movement following your mouse, different animations at key points, etc.

The characters are all unique and I definitely had favorites early on.

There's not many choices compared to a typical Twine or Choicescript game, but they seemed to have some kind of longer-term effect. There is one huge choice at the end. I translated it for my son who was walking by, and we cried a little at our ending.

Great game. I thought of giving it a 4 right after playing it, but after several hours I definitely think this is a 5 game.

If you enjoyed La Faille...