Story file
And check out the source code

Scarlet Portrait Parlor

by MathBrush (as Prismatik) profile

In this minimalist story: Darkness has fallen. There is a loom. You carry a heavy guilt.

First Publication Date: February 3, 2020
TUID: t15dwwysqvz2ptug

3rd Place, Event 1 - Second Quadrennial Ryan Veeder Exposition for Good Interactive Fiction

Ryan Veeder's Judgment
8 out of 10
I like compactness. Prismatik had a good idea and executed it correctly. That makes this very good in my eyes. There are a few inelegancies, and these I cannot overlook. Therefore I award Scarlet Portrait Parlor 8 points out of 10.

This game has great source code, August 31, 2020

The source code of this game is delightful, and you simply must read it. No, seriously, the game is basically unplayable (its puzzle is unfair) unless you read the source.

I played the game with the story file in an interpreter, which is normally my preferred way to play IF, but as a result, I missed out on a message that appears in the HTML "Play Online" version:

An Entry in Event One of the Second Quadrennial Ryan Veeder Exposition for Good Interactive Fiction.

The challenge of Event One was to create a game in Inform 7 with beautiful source code text. Therefore, you may be interested in viewing the source code text.
Well, it turns out that there is no way in the game to deduce how to win, or even to know that you should read the source to enjoy the game. (Spoiler - click to show)You have to get rid of your heavy guilt. You can't drop it. You win by putting the guilt on the loom, for no reason I can discover.

If the source code weren't so good, this game would merit one star, two at the most. But the source code is very, very good.

If you enjoyed Scarlet Portrait Parlor...