External Links

Updates to external links

sappho fragment generator

by deathmeetauthor

2024

sappho fragment generator is a project created for the Neo Twiny Jam 2024, which sought games that were under 500 words total.

Create fragments of new poems using the vocabulary and structure of Sappho, with a word bank created from Anne Carson's translation, If Not, Winter (2004). Like the real fragments we have today, many results may be nonsensical or even single words, but within the gaps, one can imagine what might have been. Open brackets are also used in Carson's style, highlighting where missing verse breaks the context of what little poetry we have from Sappho that survived to this day.

This game was inspired by Scents and Semiosis (playable here), but my intention to create this in Inform 7 was waylaid by being very, very busy, and as such, it was coded in Twine. I offer my gratitude to Grim Baccaris for their Twine Grimoire guides, which were used to enhance this game aesthetically and are on itch.io as well (here).
If any particularly delightful, fun, or moving fragments result as of this generator, please feel free to put them in the comments. Thank you for playing!

Tags you added are shown below with checkmarks. To remove one of your tags, simply un-check it.

Enter new tags here (use commas to separate tags):

Randomiser galore, July 8, 2024
by manonamora
Related reviews: neotwinyjam

sappho fragment generator is exactly what the title says: randomly printing on the screen fragments of writings of the poet Sappho. Each verse on the screen will vary in length and content, though it will often not make much sense (or at least it was my experience generating them), as it displays them from a small bank of words. Because little has survived, the generator sometimes even includes unexpected characters - though the general nonsensical of the generated elements is already confusing enough as is.
Maybe… we could still try to analyse the unanalysable.

Was this review helpful to you?   Yes   No   Remove vote
More Options

sappho fragment generator on IFDB

The following polls include votes for sappho fragment generator:

IF adaptations of existing poems by pieartsy
I'm looking for IF that adapts existing static poems, either using the text directly or taking the story/plot/themes of the text and turning them into something interactive. Does not have to be a "game" with a win/lose or branching paths...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Keltena on 8 July 2024 at 2:42pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item - Delete This Page