Savoir-Faire

Episode 1 of Lavori d'Aracne
2002

Technically brilliant game with unsympathetic PC, July 14, 2015
Related reviews: 2-10 hours

Savoir-Faire is a longish game set in an alternate-world version of France. The game prominently features a magic system involving linking items together so that they share certain properties.

The puzzles are brilliant and the game is well-implemented. You can experiment to your hearts content, and most reasonable solutions to problems work. The writing is excellent, and the storyline well-thought out.

I finished the game years ago. Every time I try to replay it though, I lose interest. Why would anyone lose interest in such a technical marvel? Because I really don't care about the PC's situation. He's a wishy-washy wimp; he can't decide if he's investigating his adoptive family's disappearance or looting their house; he can't decide if he's a rake with a million love interests or a romantic with one woman at heart; he can't decide if he's a member of the royalty-hating lower class or a priviliged upper-class man; and he can't decide if he's starving or picky.

Short hasn't written him poorly; she's just very accurately portrayed a disagreeable man. I wish I could have him slap himself, remove his silly white feather, and tell him to just eat the andouilletes plain or stop whining. I don't care about finishing the game because I don't want to go through all that trouble just so his aristocratic palate won't have to endure stale bread and unseasoned lentils. The ending helps a bit, but it is too little, too late. If he really cared about his family, why is he stealing everything?

Others may not have the same reaction.

Comments on this review

Previous | << 1 >> | Next

<blank>, July 14, 2015 - Reply
I had a similar experience... I kept asking myself why I was going to such much trouble. I didn't find the PC that disagreeable, but the sheer absurdity - the lengths I was going to - just to feed him in what he considered to be an appropriate fashion... Sheesh.
Previous | << 1 >> | Next