row not found for format 51 Space Adventure Laika - Details

Space Adventure Laika

by Ms. Tea

Historical

Space Adventure Laika is a Twine game about a small dog who is going to die.

First Publication Date: January 18, 2014
License: Creative Commons
TUID: osdm2u95ezuocf3y

A dog's one-way journey into space, February 15, 2021
Space Adventure Laika is a rather short (10-20 minutes) twine story written about Laika, the first dog in space. It chronicles her upbringing as a subway-riding Moscow stray, to her capture by scientists, and her suffering as she's placed into a tiny capsule and rocketed on a one-way journey into orbit.

This game is really good at imagining the dog's perspective. The story is divided into present and flashback segments; the present is when Laika is in the space capsule, and the flashbacks show her life as a stray dog. I like the space of possible actions in the "present" scenes; it's a parser game-inflected style, kind of reminiscent of howling dogs, that's effective at conveying a sense of Laika's confinement and her suffering. The flashback segments were well-written and interesting to read; they provide a loosely historical overview of a part of history I didn't know much about. There's some interactivity, but it all leads to a foregone conclusion.

There's recently been another twine game Laika about the same dog, which is more of a fantasy. Playing both games, I think that I prefer this one because of its more historical focus.

If you enjoyed Space Adventure Laika...

People who like Space Adventure Laika also gave high ratings to these games:

An Earth Turning Slowly, by Mæja Stefánsson
She ran through her list of findings. “We’ve never had one quite like her. The diversity of simultaneous wounds, I mean, in a surviving specimen. There’s this long-standing hand-wave in paleopathology: we assume that multi-wound healing...

Turandot, by Victor Gijsbers
An operatic performance. A tale of atonement. A dating sim with a crocodile pit. Content warnings: sex; sexism and other gender issues; suicide; torture; homophobia; xenophobia.

howling dogs, by Porpentine
death cube sim | galactic survey | visionatrix | facet machine | power gardens | women | fascination two significant endings

The following polls include votes for Space Adventure Laika:

Oh, You BEAST: Games where you're an animal! by Ghalev
I know of a small handful of games where you play a beast, and I want to know of more. (By beast I mean a cat, a dog, a chicken, an orangutan, that kind of thing ... not looking for mythical monsters and not looking for part-timers, so...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by autumnc on 28 December 2020 at 7:32am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item