Summer Night City

by ghoti

Dystopian Thriller

But even the most potent of prayers are prone to overuse, and my life, I'm sure, would sooner or later have been extinguished by my own hand. That the timing of their arrival precluded this fate came strictly as a relief. Wretched is he who must decide between painless extinction and tormented, protracted existence, and I was glad the choice was not mine.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
TUID: nwrx94o8t9x6xshg

43rd Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

A challenging Twine game about dystopia and intrigue, November 19, 2019

I beta tested this game.

Visually, this game is nice and polished, and the text is free from typos and bugs.

You play as a man blinded by the government and sent to work. While at work, you encounter a cast of characters entangled in a web of intrigue, and must make your own decisions and what to investigate and who to help. There are 6 different endings, some of which can happen unexpectedly, which makes this game pretty difficult (especially with no undo feature I saw.)

The first chapter's text is incredibly dense, with a lot of big words and long sentences. Once other characters are thrown into the mix, the pace picks up, and the dialogue especially is fresh and well-written.

I would love to see a dialogue-only game by this author (like the very popular games Birdland and Hana Feels). As for this game, I was interested enough to play to several different endings, and felt satisfaction at reaching a good one.

If you enjoyed Summer Night City...

People who like Summer Night City also gave high ratings to these games:

Trusting My Mortal Enemy?! What a Disaster!, by Storysinger Presents
When a hero & a villain start planning their battles over coffee, they come to trust each other more than they ever expected.

The Profile, by Mike Snyder
Rain pours, and with it, distant thunder. You approach the house, perhaps quickly. Your boots leave muddy footprints on the steps. It's cold. It's dark. The time is between 2:30 and 4:00 AM; you're not entirely sure. The Profile is a...

Surface, by Geoff Moore
A Spring Thing 2014 entry. Surface should play in all modern browsers, however Chrome and Safari are recommended as text and image fades may not display properly in other browsers.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Zape on 28 July 2020 at 7:10am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item