offthetrolley.gam
Requires a TADS interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.

Off the Trolley

by Krisztian Kaldi

2005

Development System: TADS 2
IFID: TADS2-A73C6DEC0FF14BAC7B921A9F1C527F98
TUID: nuklqa8l3hzhojk2

20th Place - 11th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2005)

Baf's Guide

This story of a promenade trolley driver who has become mad will probably most attract those who love puzzles, for there are pretty many of them, they are pretty logical, and are pretty well linked together. Unfortunately, the efforts of solving them won't be rewarded adequately - the ending proves to be pretty lame.

-- Valentine Kopteltsev

SPAG
The game really got me to feel like a quiet old trolley driver going through the same scenery I'd seen for decades. I actually think I identified with the PC in this game more than any other in the competition. That was part of what made the conclusion so confusing [...]
-- DJ Hastings

>INVENTORY - Paul O'Brian writes about interactive fiction

Throughout the game, it’s unclear whether Off The Trolley wants to be a gentler version of Taxi Driver, revealing the psychosis of its protagonist, or whether in fact we would find something horrible within the mirrored building. But after I followed the walkthrough to avoid the TADS errors, I reached the ending, which resolves into… neither option?

An intriguing slice of life game with troubled implementation, December 5, 2017

This game has a great premise: you are a trolley driver on a monotonous route who has a plan which is only slowly revealed to the player.

This has all sorts of potential, and the game throws in some interesting characters and narrative twists.

But it has two main issues: one is a lack of synonyms and other implementation errors; and the other is a lack of in-game guidance.

Other than that, I found it a pleasant game, with a surprising ending.

If you enjoyed Off the Trolley...