Story file and interpreter
Contains enceladus.hex
Story file and Windows interpreter.
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Hugo interpreter - visit the Hugor page on ifwiki.org for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Enceladus

by Robb Sherwin profile

There's a werewolf loose on the spaceship known as the HMCS Plagoo!

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
License: Creative Commons
Development System: Hugo
Forgiveness Rating: Polite
IFID: HUGO-31-03-18-09-24-19
TUID: lwqcpp5od2vmslg

26th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

Narrativium
Enceladus has sharpened, precise jokes, which almost all land successfully. Sure there are some people who are going to say "but comedy is subjective!" Yes, and those same people will also say that there are "very fine people on both sidesĒ. Here is a list of funny things: Monty Python. Steve Martin. Limmy. On Cinema At The Cinema. This game. Objectively funny.

A participatory space western comedy, October 9, 2019
Robb Sherwin is legendary for a certain kind of game, one with many creative NPCs, imaginative and creative language, and blood, sex, and profanity.

I love his style, but frequently it gets too much for me. But Enceladus has the wittiness and imagination without as much of the blood, sex and profanity. This IFComp game is like Respectable Robb Sherwin, as if Sherwin's writing were a teenager seeing a cop drive by, doing their best to walk normal and not look like they're high.

So this is a Robb Sherwin game I can genuinely recommend for most audiences. It's not meant for kids, though (there's some gore and it could get pretty scary for them). This is a great chance for more people to discover Sherwin's clever humor (or stupid humor? or both?).

You play as a character on the HMS Plagoo. A werewolf is loose in space, and you soon crash on the moon Enceladus. You have to defeat your enemies while simultaneously taking care mentally and physically of your friends while they do the same for you.

The game is completely linear; the interactivity is "do the next thing we tell you too". There's a few smatterings of puzzle elements, a little bit less than Photopia, for instance, but more than 0.

This style of interactivity made me feel like I was an actor in a play, giving lines at the appropriate part. And since Sherwin's writing has always reminded me of Shakespeare (focusing on witty turns of phrase and a mixture of lowbrow and highbrow), it works well.

(P.S. It may seem hyperbole to compare anyone to Shakespeare, but I'm not saying that quality of writing is exactly equal. I'm just talking about the sense of humor)

Puzzleless IF with attitude, December 27, 2019
by Stian
Related reviews: IFComp 2019
This is essentially a puzzleless IF and reads as a cross between Jack Kerouac and Quentin Tarantino if they were making a Sci-Fi B-movie together, very late at night. Or something like that. The main thing Enceladus has going for it is its humour, crass and absurd and with lots of attitude. As a work of IF, Enceladus wasnít really my thing, but I would like to acknowledge that itís quite well written, and Iím sure many will love it.

If you enjoyed Enceladus...