Play Online

Nouns

by Andrew Plotkin

Episode 15 of nanobots
2017

A hypertext fiction based on the They Might Be Giants song of the same name.

IFID: 5AC720CA-9636-4958-BAA3-041205DBB23B
TUID: jacofef8356pyl1i

A They Might Be Giants Nanobots tribute game with disappearing words, April 10, 2018

This game is part of the They Might Be Giants Nanobots tribute album. This 'album' consists of Twine games inspired by the songs and their lyrics, and is a sequel to the Apollo 18 Tribute Album of parser games in 2012.

I passed over Nouns at first, as it's fairly minimal. I was learning Twine at the time and downloading games to look at the code, and Nouns had a tiny, tiny 'game map'. Then I realized it was all javascript.

The game consists of one passage, almost all of whose words are links. Clicking on each link transforms the game.

I thought it was random at first, but on subsequent playthroughs, I realized there was a specific pattern involved. I liked it.

I only took off one star because I didn't engage with the game on an emotional level. Otherwise, the game is polished, descriptive, with good interactivity and a nice overall experience.

If you enjoyed Nouns...

People who like Nouns also gave high ratings to these games:

Turandot, by Victor Gijsbers
An operatic performance. A tale of atonement. A dating sim with a crocodile pit. Content warnings: sex; sexism and other gender issues; suicide; torture; homophobia; xenophobia.

Re: Dragon, by Jack Welch
Something went dreadfully wrong in last year's IFFComp. Now a diabolical lawyer representing a cabal of angry dragons threatens to sue the Interactive Fiction Technological Freedom Foundation into oblivion over content on the IFFComp...

Vampire: The Masquerade Parliament of Knives, by Jeffrey Dean
Dominate undead politics through cunning and violence! Will a missing Prince give you the opening to betray your sire and seize power? Or will you remain loyal? Vampire: The Masquerade Parliament of Knives is a 600,000-word interactive...

Nouns appears in the following Recommended Lists:

nanobots by Xavid
a twine album by the Society of Narrativist Progenitors with apologies to They Might Be Giants and the People's Republic of Interactive Fiction (Twine games based on the track of the same name from the They Might Be Giants album...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Xavid on 31 July 2017 at 9:19am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item