Play Online

Nouns

by Andrew Plotkin

Episode 15 of nanobots
2017

A hypertext fiction based on the They Might Be Giants song of the same name.

IFID: 5AC720CA-9636-4958-BAA3-041205DBB23B
TUID: jacofef8356pyl1i

A They Might Be Giants Nanobots tribute game with disappearing words, April 10, 2018

This game is part of the They Might Be Giants Nanobots tribute album. This 'album' consists of Twine games inspired by the songs and their lyrics, and is a sequel to the Apollo 18 Tribute Album of parser games in 2012.

I passed over Nouns at first, as it's fairly minimal. I was learning Twine at the time and downloading games to look at the code, and Nouns had a tiny, tiny 'game map'. Then I realized it was all javascript.

The game consists of one passage, almost all of whose words are links. Clicking on each link transforms the game.

I thought it was random at first, but on subsequent playthroughs, I realized there was a specific pattern involved. I liked it.

I only took off one star because I didn't engage with the game on an emotional level. Otherwise, the game is polished, descriptive, with good interactivity and a nice overall experience.

If you enjoyed Nouns...

People who like Nouns also gave high ratings to these games:

Impostor Syndrome, by Dietrich Squinkifer (Squinky)
You're giving a talk at a big important tech conference. But do you really deserve to be here, or were you selected just to fill a diversity quota? Originally published under the name "Georgiana Bourbonnais".

The Race, by Andy Why
It felt like a dream. Just three days ago you were going about your normal business when your life figuratively and literally went around a corner into an old lady carrying hot coffee. Apologetically, she offered to pay for your wet...

How to Win at Rock Paper Scissors, by Brian Kwak
The disgrace and humiliation of last year's defeat is behind you. This time, with the help of the gods, you'll win this competition for sure.

Nouns appears in the following Recommended Lists:

nanobots by Xavid
a twine album by the Society of Narrativist Progenitors with apologies to They Might Be Giants and the People's Republic of Interactive Fiction (Twine games based on the track of the same name from the They Might Be Giants album...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Xavid on 31 July 2017 at 9:19am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item