Play Online

Grayscale

by D. Fox Harrell, Pablo Ortiz, Sofia Ayala, Laurel Carney, Elizabeth Carre, Peter Downs, Chong-U Lim, Jackie Liu, Loren Sherman, Yao Tong, George Tsiveriotis, Maya Wagoner, Annie Wang, and Nadia Wiwatwicha

Part of Chimeria

Tales of sexism, sexual harassment, and sexual assault are bubbling angrily through the wires. In late 2017, the media attention to this perpetual ill and the harrowing #metoo stories sparked us to share our own computational tale of fiction that we humbly hope can participate in this dialogue. The computer as a medium offers a unique expressive palette for storytellers. With it, we can build models of crucial and moving issues in our world.

As a step toward this aim as it relates to sexism, we are announcing the launch of our interactive narrative called Grayscale. The experience is intended to provoke players to reflect critically on sexism in the workplace, both overt & hostile and more subtle.

In Grayscale players take on the role of a recently hired Human Resources manager and must navigate ethical tensions around sexism. Players are granted agency through a streamlined, aestheticized interface made to resemble a corporate e-mail client. Over the course of an in-game week, players will read and respond to e-mails from co-workers with varying outlooks in a toxic, melancholy workplace. Emphatically: our aim is neither to simulate the experience of a woman in the workplace nor to create a training tool. Instead, we aim to help users reflect upon a model of "ambivalent sexism" through storytelling.

First Publication Date: January 19, 2018
Current Version: v5
TUID: j1tsfr4jxofavyd1

If you enjoyed Grayscale...

People who like Grayscale also gave high ratings to these games:

Utopian Jam, by Astrid Dalmady
A jam game about preserves. Made in Twine for the 2017 Utopia Jam.

Soft Earth, by Jon Sorce
It's been a long, long summer, and this town has gone longer still without rain. You are ten years old. Your parents are asleep. The window is unlocked, and there's a house in the woods where Grandma's ghost might still linger, so long...

The Impossible Bottle, by Linus Åkesson
Housework is only as dull as your imagination. Join Emma, six years old, on a playful adventure of peculiar proportions. Merciful puzzlefest. Parser or point-and-click, as you please. Web (including mobile) or Z-machine.

Grayscale appears in the following Recommended Lists:

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Xavid on 21 February 2018 at 8:14pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item