Limen.gblorb
Contains Limen.glorb
For all systems. To play, you'll need a glulx interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Limen

by Elizabeth DeCoste profile

Surreal

An exploration of the surreal ambience of liminal spaces.

First Publication Date: August 28, 2021
Forgiveness Rating: Polite
IFID: 210814
TUID: iw6c6lmarmmvquco

A quick tour of liminal spaces that is itself somewhat a liminal space, August 31, 2021

Liminal spaces are popular right now; my young son enjoys playing liminal spaces games on Roblox and I've seen bots about them on twitter.

Whatever the original definition of liminal spaces was, they are now dominated by endlessly repetitive/abandoned/mass-produced areas. The Backrooms is a classic example (an endless system of hallways with boring carpeting and yellow walls). Another common kind of liminal space is something designed for entertainment but which is now empty, or uncanny valley areas.

This game involves you travelling between several such regions. Interestingly, just like liminal spaces in popular culture are often worn down, this game is underimplemented, missing several exit lists and lacking custom responses for many things.

Here's my rating:
-Polish: The game is missing exit listings and just feels kind of undercooked.
-Descriptiveness: The areas that are described are evocative, but some are given just a single line that is rather unclear.
-Interactivity: I had to decompile to finish it.
+Emotional impact: It has the kind of liminal feeling that I assume it was designed to create.
+Would I play again?: Sure, why not. It's short and good at creating the feeling of low-key chills.

This is version 6 of this page, edited by edcst on 29 August 2021 at 5:13pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item