Story file

The Job

by Fredrik Ramsberg profile

You have a job to do, whether you like it or not. Just find that necklace. How hard can it be?

First Publication Date: May 3, 2021
License: Free
Forgiveness Rating: Polite
IFIDs:  ZCODE-1-210503-0BBC
B41662E1-57A2-4045-B14C-F554A2B549FE
TUID: g5rflxpmycdl67ps

Entrant - PunyJam #1

Don't clockwatch on this job!, May 25, 2021
by Andrew Schultz (Chicago)
Related reviews: PunyJam 2021

The author redacted themselves from the competition they created, but The Job wound up making a decent account of itself, as I saw it. You are tasked with bringing back a necklace. It's hidden in a relatively cramped pub. But there's something special about the pub and how you escape it, which makes sense in retrospect--I missed a few good tries that would've clued it, because I recognized the riff on the classic puzzle this game had, and I started bulldozing the solution.

The author has made a few post-comp tweaks, but I'd also suggest (as of release 3) that they give some hint it's a timed puzzle and some idea of how long it might take until that timer expires. That, and a verb to shuffle similar sorts of items ("replace x with y") instead of "get x. (possibly) drop x (due to inventory limits). put y on z." There's a bit too much juggling, though fortunately, the solution isn't randomized. The inventory limits are again slightly confounding--perhaps the game could say "you can't carry too much more" or "your load is way too heavy" or even "you'd have to drop (weight X) to carry that."

These are a lot of quibbles but they were of the "interesting to reflect on" variety. I think they'd help the game get close to how fun the author wants the experience to be. As even with back and forth trips, the game gives enough time, you shouldn't have to save paranoically.

Why the game is timed is a spoiler, which you will find if you take too long.

I can't say much more. It's straightforward but not bare-bones. I liked the safe puzzle at the end, as it felt like it had less busy work than discovering the hidden room with the safe.

The Job isn't a brain-breaker, but it's a nice enough challenge, and nothing's unclear. You may need a knowledge of standard Inform verbs to remove one blocking piece of scenery expeditiously, but I think it's not an obscure action.

This is version 7 of this page, edited by Fredrik Ramsberg on 15 June 2021 at 9:38am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item