Play Here

Investigative Journalism: A Welcome to Night Vale Fan Game

by Astrid Dalmady profile

In Investigative Journalism, you play as the newest intern at Night Vale Community Radio and you’re tasked with hunting down The News that just escaped.

First Publication Date: November 11, 2015
TUID: f59x8xuxuc1os3ka

A polished and stylish Night Vale-style game with investigation and danger, May 28, 2020

I grade games on a scale of 5 stars, in the following criteria:

*Polish. This game is very polished, with custom sounds, varying backgrounds and images, complex menus and text input.
*Descriptiveness. This game nails the Night Vale voice and has vivid non-descriptions of real things and real descriptions of non-things.
*Interactivity. I felt like my choices mattered and had consequences. The game wasn't quite linear and not quite lawn-mowery, and I felt good.
*Emotional impact. I felt amused.
*Would I play again? I think I would.

This is a game in which you have to track down The News, a wild beast which has escaped in Night Vale, a town where every conspiracy theory is true.

thought-provoking metaphor for investigative journalism, January 10, 2016
by namekuseijin (anywhere but home)

Very good twine IF about investigative journalism disguised as a detective game in search for The News. Lavish presentation in 50's style radio news, a compelling story and solid prose. Interactions are about delving deeper into the story and places, looking for clues of the missing news monster. In between, sarcastic commentary about the meaning of life and the deeds of our protagonist by the game narrator, the very news announcer back at the radio station...

It's very good to see once in a while a very bright and polished IF out of the dozens of halfsketched static fiction propaganda or short diary entries that seem to be the bread and butter of the twine community...

short and sweet task as a Night Vale Community Radio intern , August 8, 2018
by airylef
Related reviews: night vale, short

I adore Welcome to Night Vale and I adored this short little game. Full of references to the podcast, you're an intern at the radio station who's trying to track down The News. You get to do things like chat with Steve Carlsberg (ugh, Steve!) and visit the Desert Flower Bowling Alley and Arcade Fun Complex.

If you enjoyed Investigative Journalism: A Welcome to Night Vale Fan Game...

People who like Investigative Journalism: A Welcome to Night Vale Fan Game also gave high ratings to these games:

The Mulldoon Murders, by Jon Ingold

baby tree, by Lester Galin
a short horror game

Homo Perfectus 3, by Sindriv
Three years have passed since Adam first wore the Shade Mask and defeated Damage. He has now become a full fledged superhero within Gorgon City as Shade and has created a some kind of life with Eve there. But once again, a new threat...

The following polls include votes for Investigative Journalism: A Welcome to Night Vale Fan Game:

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible multimedia uses of 2015 by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
This is for suggesting games released in 2015 which you think might be worth considering for Best Use of Multimedia in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Zape on 2 May 2021 at 1:43pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item