Play Online
Contains Niney.zblorb
Requires a Z-Code interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Niney

by Daniel Spitz

2017

Explore the nature of relationships and identity on a weird train.

Author's Comment: "We all ask ourselves, "Who am I?" One of the ways we try to answer this question is by examining the effects we have on other people. We look at our social interactions, our relationships, to assure ourselves that we are smart, we are good, we are loved. What if these fleeting interactions were all we had? Who would that make us? What would we make of ourselves?

I'm interested in using the parser in less corporeal ways. Language is this rich thing that can tersely express notions that no other medium can. Aspects of the mind, intentions, metaphors. Niney is my first IF, and my first attempt at exploring this territory of possibilities. It's idiosyncratic, rough around the edges, a bit repetitive, but I'm proud of it. I think it introduces an interesting parser-based mechanic, and does its best to develop that and show what it can do."

First Publication Date: April 7, 2017
TUID: bneu56edziv34622

Audience Choice Ribbon (tie), Main Festival - Spring Thing 2017

An intriguing game based on becoming different roles, May 12, 2017

You play a character on a train who assumes different personas or identities over a period of several days. You eXamine different people, and discover new identities, then BE them for different people.

It's a philosophical sort of game. I found it to be a bit lawnmowery (you spend a lot of time just trying each persona on each passenger), but I found it enjoyable. The 'seducing' personas I didn't really like.

The ending was interesting, but like many others, I found it confusing.

If you enjoyed Niney...

People who like Niney also gave high ratings to these games:

Academic Pursuits (As Opposed To Regular Pursuits), by ruqiyah
Dear Ms. ████████ We are delighted to offer you a position in our architecture department. After your application and interview we are confident you will really sink your teeth into this role. Your new office will be ready for you to...

Tower, by Simon Deimel
Out of the blue, and into the blue. And there you are, in a chamber, trying to find out what is going on. Everything is so unreal... what has happened to you? TOWER is a short interactive fiction with surreal elements.

Best of Three, by Emily Short

Niney appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for January 2019 by David Welbourn
On Tuesday, January 29, 2019, I published new walkthroughs for the games listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of...

Surreal games on trains by MathBrush
There is an unusually large amount of surreal games on trains (maybe from the Dark Tower?). Here are the ones I can find.

The following polls include votes for Niney:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible innovation uses of 2017 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2017 which you think might be worth considering for Best Use of Innovation in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Zape on 4 May 2021 at 10:42pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item