Ballyhoo

by Jeff O'Neill

Mystery
1985

A hidden gem in the Infocom collection, January 19, 2014
I love Infocom. You really can't NOT love Infocom.

Everybody knows about Zork. Everybody knows about Enchanter. Everybody knows about Deadline. Nobody, however, really talks about Ballyhoo. I decided to check it out, hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I'm now 100% convinced that Infocom is incapable of making a bad game.

Ballyhoo is challenging, but not too challenging. It does make you think, but there aren't all that many rooms, so it's fairly easy to wrap your head around navigation. There is one part, though, that is ridiculously difficult and takes a while. If you really want to know what I'm referring to, (Spoiler - click to show)it's the rather infamous part where you are hypnotized. This includes a maze of sorts and a lot of methodical planning, because if you make one wrong move, you have no chance of winning anymore.

As long as you save often (as you can't undo moves), this is a very enjoyable game.

Comments on this review

Previous | << 1 >> | Next

namekuseijin, January 14, 2016 - Reply
I just started playing it. I'm having that precise same feeling...

I very much prefer an urban setting like this, that of Deadline, AMFV or Trinity than plain magic-filled treasure hunting...
Previous | << 1 >> | Next