The Poisoned Soup | 有毒之湯

by Junting Dong

The Poisoned Soup is a Traditional Chinese text adventure horror game created with RenPy visual novel engine. The story adapted from the famous Japanese scenario "Poison Soup", which was written for the TRPG Call of Cthulhu by Doroshinshi. The music and graphics are all fan-made and were shared under Creative Common license.

Language: Chinese (zh-cmn-Hant-TW)
Development System: Ren'Py
TUID: azp2uplpstilx2dq

More successful at puzzles than the average visual novel., February 10, 2017
by IFforL2 (Chiayi, Taiwan)

Although I enjoy many works of interactive literature just as well as text adventure puzzlers, I observe that puzzles help language learners to read IF with more focus, care, and investment. Therefore, I find it unfortunate that few East Asian visual novels include puzzles. Those that do tend to limit themselves to instant death by wrong choice. The Poisoned Soup is a rare piece in that the fluently bilingual author is well-read in a variety of IF genres. These range from parser-based puzzle games, to parser-based literature, to choice-based (and basically linear) East Asian visual novels.(Spoiler - click to show) Steven Dong intentionally makes it difficult to select all the right choices in the first play-through. However, wrong choices don't usually lead to instant death without clear warnings. Rather, most wrong choices cause trauma to the PC. As I made progress in the game/work, Dong's method caused, in me at least, a sense of desperation and increasing cautiousness, as well as personal investment in the PC's lot.

I would have to say that this is currently my second favorite Mandarin game after 逃出去 | Escape.

If you enjoyed The Poisoned Soup | 有毒之湯...